Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Bachelor's Bachelor's international students Admission and application Admitted students

Finalize your enrolment

Once you have received your letter of admission, you will still need to complete a few more steps before you can start your programme at the University of Groningen.

Fulfil the conditions listed in your decision letter

Fulfil the conditions listed in the decision letter that you received from the Admissions Office by email.

Send certified (digital) copies

You will need to provide us with certified digital copies of your original diploma(s) and final transcript(s). How you can provide these copies can be found on the pages mentioned below:

If you do not submit your documents in time, you may not be able to receive your student card when you start your programme. Please be aware that you need your student card to access most of the university services.

Text continues under the movie.

Pay tuition fees

Please don't forget to pay your fees on time. You will find more information here.

Upload a passport photo

During the enrolment process you will be asked to upload a passport-style photograph. This photograph will be used on your university identity card, your 'RUGpas'. The photograph must:

  • be passport standard
  • be in portrait orientation (i.e., higher than it is wide)
  • be taken with your eyes open and clearly visible (no sunglasses or tinted glasses and no hair across your eyes)
  • show your full head, without any head covering unless you wear one for religious beliefs or medical reasons
  • show you on your own
  • be in colour
  • be taken within the last 12 months
  • be clear and in sharp focus

Immigration advice

In order to start your programme on time, you should make sure that if you need a visa to study in the Netherlands, you apply for it in good time. Applying for a visa can take several months and you will not be able to enter the Netherlands without a valid visa. More information can be found here.

The University of Groningen's Immigration Service Desk (ISD) will contact you about your visa and/or residence permit application after you have received your letter of (conditional or provisional) admission; you do not need to contact them yourself.

If you are a student from country group II, III or IV and you will be staying for longer than three months (90 days), you need a visa (type D - a provisional residence permit) and/or a residence permit card in order to study in the Netherlands. Nationals from country group IA do not need to apply for a visa or residence permit, but can apply for 'proof of lawful residence', if necessary.

Country group Nationality Immigration requirements
Group I Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland
  • Do not need an MVV
  • Do not need a residence permit
Group II Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America, Vatican City State and the United Kingdom
  • Do not need an MVV
  • Do need a residence permit (stay over 3 months)
  • Do need a work permit (should you wish to work part-time)
Group III Andorra, Antigua en Barbuda, Argentina, Bosina, Brazil, Brunei, Chile, Comonwealth of Dominica, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Georgia, Guatemala, Grenada, Honduras, Israel, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldavia, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Samoa, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Tawain, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Venezuela
  • Do need an MVV (stay over 3 months)
  • Do need a residence permit (stay over 3 months)
  • Do need a work permit (should you wish to work part-time)
Group IV all other countries
  • Do need an MVV (stay over 3 months)
  • Do need a residence permit (stay over 3 months)
  • Do need a work permit (should you wish to work part-time)

The University applies for your visa and/or residence permit with the Dutch Immigration Services (IND). You cannot apply yourself.

The University will inform you about the procedure and the documents that are needed for the application.

Please be informed that your application can be withdrawn when you do not meet the visa and/or residence permit application deadline. The Immigration Service Desk needs to receive your application before the application deadline in order to make sure that your visa and/or residence permit are ready before the start of your programme. This is necessary to finalize your enrolment.

Ben je een Nederlandse studiekiezer? Ga dan naar onze pagina's voor Nederlandse studenten.

Last modified:05 April 2023 10.59 a.m.