Kalverboer, Prof. Margrite Kalverboer
Children, Pedagogics and Refugee and Asylum Law
Besides her current position as Professor by special appointment at the UG, Kalverboer has been the Dutch Children’s Ombudsman since 2016. Kalverboer is also affiliated with the Study Centre for Children, Migration and Law, which researches children (and their families) within the context of migration law. Kalverboer recently (2019) made the news when she wanted to try to repatriate Dutch children of parents who joined ISIS in Syria ‘As Children’s Ombudsman, I stand up for all children. That also includes children in youth care, children who live in poverty or gifted children who are in a tricky situation’, stated Kalverboer in Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant.
As a lawyer and special needs expert, Kalverboer is trying to expand the understanding between those two worlds. Her research concentrates, inter alia, on the explanation and implementation of the provisions of the Convention on the Rights of the Child from a pedagogical perspective, in order to clarify the legal procedures that can be faced by children in the Netherlands and abroad. She is project leader of the research project ‘Belang van het kind in het Vreemdelingenrecht en -beleid’ [Interests of the Child in Immigration Law and Policy]. According to Kalverboer, the rights of the child have been pushed to one side in the controversial case of the young asylum seeker Mauro. Kalverboer warned about the deteriorating situation refugee children find themselves in in The Netherlands.
Previously in the news
- Kalverboer en Van Os op lijst nieuwe Kinderombudsman (Dutch article in Volkskrant)
- Children and the law (article in Dutch, Broerstraat 5, p. 8)
- K alverboer appointed Professor of Child, Pedagogy and Migration Law
- Ontwikkeling van jonge asielzoekers onder de loep (Dutch article in Trouw)
- Unheard of that Mauro’s case has got to this point (Kalverboer in the programme Hart van Nederland, SBS 6)
- Mauro’s situation is very distressing (Oog TV)
- National Youth Care Prize for University of Groningen project
- Asylum procedures neglect the interests of children
Contact and further information
|Last modified:||22 October 2019 11.43 a.m.|