De Jong, Prof. Gjalt
Prof. Gjalt de Jong studied economics at NHL Stenden University of Applied Sciences and at the University of Groningen, where he obtained his PhD in Business Administration. After his PhD, he initially worked for large advisory agencies before returning to the university due to ethical considerations. De Jong’s career divides into two periods. Between 1991 and 2015 he focused on economic growth and strategy. From 2015 onwards, De Jong and his chair group focus on sustainable entrepreneurship and the circular economy. Since 2015, he has been the director of the Centre for Sustainable Entrepreneurship at Campus Fryslân in Leeuwarden. Within this Centre, researchers, businesses, and policymakers work closely together on new solutions for successful entrepreneurship in the circular economy. De Jong is also the co-initiator of the Circulair Friesland (Circular Friesland) association.
In his work as a professor, De Jong finds it important to take an approach other than simply conducting research from an office. He considers himself an academic from the new generation: not a rational machine that solely conducts factual analyses but somebody with a human approach, who works based on an internal motive to improve the world. He has made it his mission to stand for and actively strive for sustainability. At Campus Fryslân, he is focusing on business owners who are grappling with ecological or sustainability issues. In his opinion, it is important to combine enterprise with doing good for the planet, and thus to also be actively involved with the academic world.
‘This demands radical innovation, an academic revolution. If you want to achieve real societal impact, then you must leave the academic ivory tower to join forces with businesses, organizations, and the government in the search for solutions. It requires plenty of patience, time, and energy. This is only possible on the basis of a strong, intrinsic motivation to achieve a better world.’
Previously in the news
- Sloten zijn best veilig te recyclen: dat oude voordeurslot past prima op een ander huis
- Gjalt de Jong, hoogleraar duurzaam ondernemen in een circulaire economie: 'Een béétje duurzaamheid bestaat niet'
- Uefa wil het klimaat beschermen, maar wel pas vanaf 2040
- Bevlogen bekeerling predikt duurzaam ondernemen
- Vloerbedekking die CO2 uit de lucht haalt, is dat beter voor het klimaat?
- Milieubewuste jongeren kopen hun kleren steeds vaker tweedehands
- Een interview met econoom Gjalt de Jong: “Er is veel onnodige regelgeving”
- RUG moet Friesland binnen zes jaar circulair laten scoren
Contact and more information
|Last modified:||06 February 2023 08.45 a.m.|