In Science - Podcast
In Science is the University of Groningen podcast where we interview researchers and bring you the latest news and reports from the academic community in Groningen. You can listen to In Science on Spotify, Apple Podcast, Stitcher or directly through our RSS feed. Subscribe and don't miss a single episode! Got a question or a suggestion for an interesting topic? Mail us at podcast rug.nl or text us on WhatsApp: 06-49230111.
In Science: Episode 16 - Cisca Wijmenga - Q&A
In this special Q&A episode, rector Cisca Wijmenga tries to answer some of the questions from our staff and students on the impact of the corona crisis on work and life at University of Groningen. We received a lot of questions and weren't able to answer them all in this podcast. Questions that couldn't be answered in this pod will get a response via email. Also, be sure to check out our corona update page for the latest news and FAQ. If you could not find an answer to your question please send us a mail. For students that is: study rug.nl, staff can contact amd rug.nl.
Guest: prof. dr. Cisca Wijmenga
- Episode 15: This entire 15th episode is about the Coronavirus. Our guest is Casper Albers, professor in Applied Statistics and Data Visualisation. Casper, Wim, Tina (our new host) and Arjen discuss how data and statistical models of the spread of the virus are used in the media, but also what impact the Coronavirus has on researchers at our university.
- Episode 14: Our guest is prof. dr. ir. Ming Cao. His research focuses on multi-agent systems and autonomous robots. He is designing algorithms that help autonomous robots cooperate. Wim, Nanna and Arjen interview him about his research and how working together with biologists and sociologists helps him to design better algorithms. Also, Arjen tells us about the portraits hanging in the Senate chamber, the revealing of the portrait of prof. dr. Dirkje Postma and the importance of her work.
- Episode 13: The first episode in English and this time our guest is Assistent Professor Sahar El Aidy. She tells us about her research on the relation between the gut and the brain. Wim, Nanna and Arjen ask her in what way gut bacteria can influence our mood, health and sometimes even the medication we take. Also, Arjen discusses the research of Theunis Piersma on the migratory flyway of birds.
- Episode 12: Our guest is prof. dr. Louwrens Hacquebord. Forty years ago, he organised the first archeological expedition to Spitsbergen for the University of Groningen. The Spitsbergen 79 exhibition in the University Museum illustrates under what circumstances researchers had to work on Spitsbergen. Wim, Nanna and Arjen interview Louwrens about his experiences during the expedition.
- Episode 11: This episode Wim and Nanna interview Caspar van den Berg, Professor in Global and Local Governance at the Campus Fryslân faculty. They discuss his research on growing social and economic inequality between regions and the relation with the recent farmer protests and election results. Also, Arjen Dijkstra tells about the role of the university in Friesland over the years.
- Episode 10: This episode features Amina Helmi, Professor of Dynamics, Structure and Formation of the Milky Way and winner of the Spinoza Prize 2019. She and her team discovered that about 10 billion years ago, the Milky Way merged with a large galaxy. October 2018 she published her findings in an article in Nature. We interview her about the research and what receiving the Spinoza award means to her.
- Episode 9: Our guest is Steffie van der Steen. Her research concerns animal-assisted therapy and she tries to determine if this therapy really is working and if so, why does it work?
- Episode 8: Professor Casper Albers is interviewed by Wim Brons and Nanna Hilton about the use of applied statistics in the media, fact checking and more.
- Episode 7: Ass. Professor Katherine Stroebe & Professor Tom Postmes discuss their research on the effects of earthquakes as a results of gas extraction on the health of people in the region.
- Episode 6: Professor Peter Verhoef on the effects of the platform economy.
- Episode 5: Wim and Nanna interview Anton Scheurink, Professor Neuroendocrinology about Anorexia and addiction.
- Episode 4: Niels Taatgen is interviewed on the latest developments in AI and the new CogniGron institute.
- Episode 3: dr. Marthe Walvoort talks about her research on sugar and the effects on health and illness.
- Episode 2: dr. Marie José van Tol on the use of cognitive therapy in preventing depression relapse.
- Episode 1: In the 1st episode Mickel Hansen is interviewed on being part of the doing ground breaking research as part of the Ben Feringa group.
|Last modified:||31 March 2020 4.54 p.m.|