Admission Requirements 2020/2021
To be considered to study the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme at University College Groningen, you need to meet the minimum entry requirements. Our Board of Admissions has identified these requirements to ensure that all students in the Class of 2023 have a similar academic background and will be able to successfully participate in the courses offered at UCG.
1) Secondary School Diploma
Students are required to have successfully obtained a secondary school diploma which allows entry to an academic university. Therefore, students need to obtain a Dutch VWO diploma or international equivalent before gaining entry to the programme. The table below shows the most common secondary school diplomas that are considered equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma:
|Netherlands||VWO||We generally prefer an average grade 7.0* or higher|
|United Kingdom||Three A-Levels||We generally prefer an average grade C+* or higher|
|Germany||Zeugnis der allgemeinen Hochschulreife (Abitur)||We generally prefer an average grade of 2.5 * or higher|
|United States||American High School diploma + four Advanced Placement Tests OR SAT scores **||We generally prefer an average grade of 3.0 * or higher / SAT combined score 1300|
|International Baccalaureate||International Baccalaureate Diploma||We generally prefer a total amount of 32* points or higher|
* In your personal statement, (instructions here) explain any shortcomings in the preferred GPA requirement and explain how this is compensated by other qualifications.
**If you wish to apply with SAT scores please inform us via: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) English Proficiency
Since English is the official language at University College Groningen, applicants are required to demonstrate proof of their English language proficiency. The following exemptions apply:
- Native English speakers who have completed their entire secondary education in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (English secondary education);
- Applicants with an IB diploma, with English as the medium of instruction;
- Applicants with an EB diploma, with English as final exam subject from a European School or one of the Accredited European Schools;
- Applicants with a Dutch VWO diploma and a 7 or higher in English;
- Applicants with a German Abitur Diploma and a 10 or higher for the English Kurs;
- Applicants with at least 3 GCE A2-level certificates from an accredited British examination board;
- Applicants who have already completed and entire Bachelor's programme in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (English secondary education);
If you do not meet the requirements listed above, one of the tests indicated below will provide proof of English proficiency. These tests will always be accepted by UCG as proof of English proficiency (provided that the minimum score was obtained). Minimum required scores for these tests are:
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5 - no less than 6.0 on each section|
|TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test)||92 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test)||237 - no less than 21 on each section|
|TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test)||580 - no less than 55 on each section|
|Cambridge English||Cambridge C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency|
|English Language Test - University of Groningen Language Centre||Section scores C2 or C1 and one section score B|
Please keep in mind that:
- The TOEFL and IELTS test scores cannot be older than two years;
- The modality required is 'academic';
- You may already apply for our BA/BSc in Liberal Arts and Sciences, even though you have not yet taken an English language test or while your test score is still insufficient. In that case, you might be conditionally admitted with one of the conditions for final admission being that you take and pass a (new) test. Please inform the Admissions Office of the date on which you are planning to take such a test;
- If you need to take one of the above-mentioned tests, you are responsible for making your own arrangements and pay any fee required. As it will take some time for the results to become available, make sure you sign up for an English language proficiency test well in advance before the start of the academic year. Make sure that there is enough time for the results to reach UCG, to make sure that you have the possibility to retake the test if the results are disappointing.
Submission of test results:
- IELTS: a scan of the score report can be uploaded in the Online Admission System (OAS) or can be send by email. We can verify the score online;
- TOEFL: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive the original score report. Please ask the Educational Testing Service to send it to us, using institution code 7191;
- Cambridge Certificate: initially, a scan of the score report can be uploaded in OAS. If you are admitted, we need to receive a certified copy of the certificate.
3) Mathematics Proficiency
Due to the content of the courses offered at UCG, we require students to have achieved a certain level of mathematics proficiency during their prior education. We accept the following mathematics levels:
|VWO||Wiskunde A, B or C|
|International Baccalaureate||Mathematical Studies SL, Mathematics SL or Mathematics HL|
|British A-levels||A-level or AS-level in Mathematics|
|High School Diploma||AP Calculus or AP Statistics with a minimum grade 3 or SAT math score 600|
|Abitur||Mathematik GK/gA or Mathematik LK/eA|
For other qualifications not mentioned above, generally, we measure mathematics proficiency by having passed mathematics as a final year or final exam course in a qualification that is equivalent to pre-Dutch University education. The Board of Admission will decide whether the level of the mathematics course within your curriculum is sufficient based on the transcript(s) you provide in your application to UCG.
If you do not meet our mathematics requirement, you can choose to do an alternative test to complement your application. These are the tests that we accept:
- Dutch VWO Wiskunde A or Wiskunde B certificate (Dutch pre-university Mathematics A or B) with a passing grade, obtained at CCVX or Boswell-Beta;
- AP Calculus AB or BC with a College Board examination with a minimum grade of 3;
- AS-level or A-level certificate in Mathematics (via one of the British A-level examination boards);
- IB certificate Mathematics Standard Level or Higher Level with a minimum grade of 4
4) Extra Requirements
All Chinese students must apply for a 'Nuffic Certificate' to be eligible for a Dutch entry-visa. For more information please click here.
Do you want to make sure you don't miss any deadlines? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!
|Last modified:||02 June 2020 08.55 a.m.|