dr. M. (Mans) Schepers
My research is focussed on the complex interaction between people and the natural environment. Some topics related to this broad theme have my particular interest:
- The present perception (and presentation) of past human behaviour.
- Modelling/understanding the way plant remains end up in different types of archaeological context to facilitate more nuanced interpretation.
- Understanding the interaction between ecological, physical-geographical, and cultural forces in various landscape types
- Improving transdisciplinary cooperation and exchange of ideas.
- The relation between Art and Environment. I am co-supervising the PhD project by Anna-Rosja Haveman on Artistic Approaches to the Coastal Landscape of the Netherlands.
Selection of research projects
A NWO financed project led by dr ir Bas Borsje from Twente University. Together with a Postdoc researcher, I will investigate the way new coastal defence strategies will affect the existing landscape and how this is related to the history of coastal landscapes.
On suitable grounds
A NWO funded project led by prof dr Hans Huisman, dealing with the introduction of crop cultivation in the Netherlands. I co-supervise the PhD-project carried out by Ana Smuk, dealing with palaeoecological analyses.
Fields of opportunity
In 2015, I was awarded a NWO VENI grant to study early crop cultivation in the coastal salt marshes of the Netherlands and Germany. The project has ended, but some papers are currently underway. The project includes collaborations with Prof Dr Karl-Ernst Behre, Dr Welmoed Out, and Dr Niek Scheepens.
Member Advisory Panel 'Timeless Arctic' (https://timelessarctic.org/our-team/)
Editorial board 'Nieuwe Drentse Volksalmanak'
Scientific advisory board Geopark De Hondsrug
Coordinator Hugo de Vries prize for best botanical dissertation
Editorial board Noorderbreedte (https://noorderbreedte.nl/)
Editorial advisory board Journal Groningen Churches
|Last modified:||08 November 2022 4.35 p.m.|