prof. dr. B. Noheda Pinuaga
Beatriz Noheda is full Professor at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands, where she chairs the Nanostructures of Functional Oxides group, at the Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials. She is married and has two sons, 12 and 8 years old. Her pronouns are she/her.
Noheda arrived in Gronigen in 2004 after being awarded a Rosalind Franklin Fellowship. Before that, she had been Assistant Physicist (tenure-track) at the Physics Department in Brookhaven National Laboratory (New York), also serving as local contact of the Powder Diffraction beamline at the NSLS synchrotron. Noheda had also held various research stays and positions at University of Saarlandes, Clarendon Laboratory in Oxford and Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, after receiving her PhD in Physics from the UAM in Madrid (1996).
Noheda is a Fellow of the American Physical Society (awarded by nomination to about 1% of the APS members) and is recipient of the IEEE- Robert E. Newnham Ferroelectrics Award. She has served as member of numerous national and international committees, as well as of several editorial boards. She is author of more than 100 publications, receives more than 10 personal invitations per year to speak in international conferences and has given 8 plenary/keynote talks. Currently, Noheda is the founding director of the Groningen Cognitive Systems and Materials center (CogniGron).Professional experience
- Full Professor (Hoogleraar) at University of Groningen (01/2014-present)
- Associate Professor (Adjunct Hoogleraar) at University of Groningen (2008-2013)
- Assistant Professor at University of Groningen (2004-2008)
- Researcher at VU-Amsterdam (2002-2003)
- Assistant Physicist (tenure-track) at Brookhaven National Lab (BNL), New York (2000-2002)
- Research Collaborator at BNL, New York (part time, 1998-1999)
- Visiting scientist at Clarendon Lab, University of Oxford (1997)
- Profesor Asociado (University teacher) at Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (part-time 1996-1999)
- DAAD Fellow at Saarlandes University, Saarbrücken, Germany (1994)
- PhD candidate at Univ. Autonoma de Madrid (UAM), Spain (1992-1996)
- IEEE- Robert E. Newnham Ferroelectrics Award (2020)
Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS) (2011)
Awarded "For fundamental structural studies of new phases in perovksite-type ferroelectric materials and of domain nanostructures in epitaxial films of multiferroics."
Rosalind Franklin Fellow by the University of Groningen (2004)
Visiting Professor at Université Paris Sud (Spring 2016)
- 8 Plenary/Keynote talks in International Conferences
- Chair of the Rosalind Franklin Fellowships Selection Committee (University of Groningen, 2015 & 2017)
- Chair of the Nano, Quantum & Materials Physics working group for the Dutch Science organization-NWO (2019-present)
Member of the:
- Board of Reviewing Editors (BORE) of Science (2019- )
- Editorial Board of Physical Review Applied (2019- )
- Editorial Advisory Board of Applied Physics Letters (2013- )
- Editorial Board of the npj Quantum Materials (2018- )
- Editorial Board of Phase Transitions
- Evaluation Committee Helmhotz-Rossendorf Center in Dresden (2018- )
- Advisory Board at Luxembourg Institute of Technology (PEARL programme) (2017- 2020)
- Condensed Matter and Optical Physics (COMOP) advisory committee of the Dutch funding agency FOM-NWO (2017-2018)
- Steering committee (Dutch representative) of the International and European Meetings of Ferroelectricity (IMF & EMF)
- International Advisory Board of the European Conference on Applications of Polar Dielectrics (ECAPD).
- Advisory board of the Lorentz International Center for Workshop Organization.
- Nominating Committee of the American Physical Society (DMP-Div.) (2013-2014)
- Selection Committee Young Academy Groningen (2016)
- Committee Outstanding Young Investigator Award of the MaterialsResearch Society
- Publications: see Google Scholar
Invited talks (listed only accepted invitations)
- M2i Conference, Noordwijkerhout, Dec. 12, The Netherlands (Plenary speaker)
- International Workshop on Oxide Electronics (iWOE26), Kyoto, Sep.29-Oct.2
- Workshop on Neurotronics: Bio-inspired information pathways, Kiel, Sept. 2-5
- European Meeting on Ferroelectricity (EMF), Laussanne, July 15-19
- Symposium on oxide electronics, EMRS-Spring meeting, Nice, May 27-31
- "Bits&Brains" symp. of the Dutch Royal Academy of Sciences (KNAW), April 27
- Workshop on Ferroic Domain Walls "Warwick in Venice", Venice, March 27-28
- PAC symposium, University of Amsterdam, March 7
- Talk at Instituto of Nanotechnology de Aragon (INA), February 20
- Talk at Nanogune, Donostia (Spain), February 18
- Colloquium at AMOLF Institute, Amsterdam, January 14
- XGEFES-2018- Spanish Cond. Mat. Physics meeting, Valencia (Spain), January (Keynote speaker)
- March Meeting of the American Physical Society, Los Angeles (CA), March.
- The 16th European Powder Diffraction Conference (EPDIC16), Edinburgh, July (Plenary speaker)
- Gordon Conference in Multiferroics, Bates College, Lewiston (ME), August.
- 14th International Symposiumon Ferroic Domains, Barcelona, September
4th Intl School of Oxide Electronics (ISOE2017), Cargèse, Corsica, April.
13th International COnference on Materials Chemistry (MC13), Liverpool, July (Keynote speaker).
International Meeting on Ferroelectricity (IMF2017), San Antonio (Texas), Sept.
Nature Conf.: "Ferroic Materials: Challenges and Opportunities", Xi’an, October.
- Royal Society Meeting, workshop on “Domain Wall Functionality”, London, Feb.
- APS march Meeting, Focus: “Dielectric and Ferroic oxides”, Baltimore, March.
- MRS Spring Meet.-Sympos. "Functional oxide heterostructures ", Phoenix, March
- MRS Spring Meet.- Symp. “Tuning Propert. by Elastic Strain Eng.”, Phoenix, March.
- CIMTEC-2016/5th Intal. Conf. Smart and Multifunctional Materials, Peruggia, June.
- 14th Intl. Conference on Surface X-ray and Neutron Scattering, New York, July.
- Joint IEEE ISAF/ECAPD/PFM Conference in Darmstadt, August
- 13th Intl. Symp. on Ferroic Domains (ISFD-13), Vancouver, October.
- DPG Meeting of the German Phys. Soc., Symp on 'Domain Walls', Berlin, March.
- Yearly Meeting of the Dutch Vacuum Society (NEVAC), Groningen, April.
- Colloquium at Imperial College London, London, June.
- 13th European Meeting on Ferroelectricity, Porto, June.
- Bianual UK-NL Condensed Matter Meeting, Amsterdam, September.
- “Simufer” COST meeting, Genoa, January.
- MRS- Spring Meeting, San Francisco, April.
- CIMTEC conference, Montecatini Term, June.
- Gordon Conf. ‘Multiferroic & Magnetoelectric Materials’, Biddeford, ME, August.
- NanoCity 2014: The New Event on Nanotechnology, Utrecht, October.
- NWO-CW meeting, Veldhoven, Netherlands, March.
- EMRS Spring Meeting, Symp. “ Multifunct. binary and complex oxides films appl.” Strasbourg, May.
- Debye Colloquium, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, June.
- Colloquium at Dep. Chemical Engineering, TU Delft, The Netherlands, February
- Pre-meeting tutorial at the APS-March Meeting, Dallas, March.
- Piezo-response symp. (WW) at the MRS-Spring meeting in San Francisco, April.
- 20th IEEE Intal Symposium on Applications of Ferroelectrics, Vancouver, July.
- Workshop on Fundamental Physics of Ferroelectrics, Aspen, Colorado, February.
- 3rd workshop for Emergent Materials Research (EMR), Postech, Korea, July.
- Symp. on Phase transitions in funct. perovskites, EMRS-Fall meeting, September.
- Colloquium at the University of Geneva, May.
- Multiferroics Symposium at the MRS-Spring meeting in San Francisco, April.
- Oxides Interfaces Symposium at the MRS-Spring meeting in San Francisco, April.
- Physics Colloquium at the University of Groningen, April.
- Ferroelect. and Multiferr. sympos. at the MRS-Fall meeting, Boston, December.
- 17th Intal. Symposium on Applications of Ferroelectrics, Santa Fe, US, February.
- Symposium on Ferroelectrics, ICMAB, Barcelona, Spain, January.
- Physics Seminar of the Max Planck Inst. and U. Stuttgart, Stuttgart, November.
- 11th European Meeting on Ferroelectricity, Bled, Slovenia, September.
- Workshop High Res. Beamline at PETRAIII, Hamburg, Germany, September.
- Ferroelectrics-UK 2007 Meeting, Dundee, Scotland, August.
- European School on Multiferroic Materials, Grenoble, France, July.
- MaReMaS-Seminar at the University of Leipzig, Germany, June.
- Physics Colloq. van del Waals-Zeeman Institute (U. of Amsterdam), September.
- Rank Prize Symposium on Electro-Optic Nanostructured Arrays, UK, September.
23rd European Crystallographic Meeting, Leuven-Belgium, August
- Talk at 'Center of Excellence on Electric Fatigue'- TU Darmstadt, Germany, July.
- NEVAC (Dutch Vacuum Organization) Meeting , Groningen-Netherlands, April.
- International Symposium on Integrated Ferroelectrics, Honolulu-USA, April.
Fundamental Physics of Ferroelectrics, Virginia-USA, February.
- 230th American Chemical Society Meeting , Washington-USA, August.
Winter School on Piezoelectrics-EPFL, Chateau-Deux-Switzerland, February.
- Seminar at the Institute of Physics ( Leiden University ), November.
- Seminar at HASYLAB-DESY, Hamburg- Germany, May.
- Seminar at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid- Spain, April.
Rosalind Franklin Fellowships Awards, University of Groningen, September.
- Seminar at the Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales- CSIC, Madrid- Spain, April.
Ferroelectrics-UK Meeting, Leeds UK, March.
- Workshop on Thermodyn. and Struct. Properties of Mat., Avignon, September.
- 10th International Meeting on Ferroelectricity, Madrid-Spain, September.
- 20th European Crystallographic Meeting, Krakow-Poland, August.
- 2nd Stig Lundqvist Research Conference on the "Advancing Frontiers in Condensed Matter Physics: Non-conventional Systems and New Directions", Trieste, July.
- National Synchrotron Light Source Users Meeting, New York-USA, May.
- 103rd American Ceramic Society Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, April.
American Physical Society March Meeting, Seattle-USA, March
- 7th European Powder Diffraction Conference, Barcelona-Spain, May.
- Workshop on Fundamental Physics of Ferroelectrics, Aspen,Colorado-USA, Febuary.
- Rosalind Franklin Fellowship (Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, U. of Groningen), (2004-2009)
- MSCplus funds (Materials Science Centre, U. of Groningen), (2004-2009)
- FOM 'projectruimte' (Dutch organizat. for Fundam. Res. of Matter), (2004-2009)
- VIDI-NWO (Dutch Science Organization) Fellowship, (2004-2008)
- EU-STREP project (MACOMUFI) on Multiferroic thin films (2006-2009)
- TOP-NWO project on Functional Nanowalls, with T.T.M. Palstra (2007-2012)
- Zernike Inst. Dieptestrategie grant on Multiferroics Domain walls, with M. Mostovoy (2009-2014)
- FOM-Nano project with T, Banerjee and G. Rijnders (2011-15)
- NanoNextNL program- Multilayered and artificial materials (2011-2015)
- Zernike Inst. Dieptestrategie grant on Hybrid Magnetoelectric Nanostructures, with K. Loos (2009-2014)
- Grant from the Aduarderkring RuG Alumni on Piezoelectric Energy Harvesting (2012-2016)
- TOP-PUNT grant by Dutch Science orgnanization NWO (2016-2021)
Outreach/in the media
- Our work on ferroelectric hafnia featured in several technology webpages: EurekaAlert, ScienceDaily, eeNews, and others
- Our work within Nanolab NL featured in Youtube films: NanoLabNL: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen - Beatriz Noheda NanoLabNL: Atomic Scale Control to Enhance Nanotechnology From Defect to Device. Science Linx- RuG piece by René Fransen
- NANONEXT NL Magazine: NANOTEXT NL
Speech at the Opening of the Academic Year 2013 (Invited by the RuG Rector Magnificus Prof. E. Sterken)
- One of the "100 Inspirational profiles" of Lynnette Madsen's book "Successful Women Ceramic and Glass Scientists and Engineers" (Wiley,ISBN: 978-1-118-73359-2)
- "City of Talent" billboard in the streets of Groningen
- YouTube video (by Bruno van Wayenburg) on my work with Gustau Catalan on Flexoelectric piezoelectricity
- YouTube video (by Bruno van Wayenburg) on piezoelectric energy harvesting as part of a grant application of Monica Acuautla
Ultra-thin piezoelectrics for energy harvesting, RUG university press release, October 2011
- Science News, Vol. 159, Mar. 17, 2001, p. 167
- Brookhaven's press release , Mar. 8, 2001
- Onze samenwerking met gemeente Zuidhorn in de nieuws
- Nieuwe chemie dankzij fout in kristal (Science Linx-RuG by René Fransen, November 2014)
- Groningen-City of talent "ambassador" (2013)
- Energie uit beweging (YouTube animation by Bruno van Wayenburg) on my work with Gustau Catalan
- Energie oogsten in de sportshal (Broestraat 5, Alumni RuG Magazine, 2012)
- Ultradunne piëzo-elektrische materialen winnen verloren energie (FOM press release, October 2011)
- Doorbraak in onderzoek: energie uit vloeren en wegen (Groninger Gezinsbode, October 2011)
- Materialen voor de toekomst ( Materials for the future) (Broerstraat 5, Alumni RuG Magazine, 2005)
|Last modified:||25 July 2020 4.34 p.m.|