Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Faculty of Law Outgoing exchange (for current students) Recognition of Courses

Recognition of courses

After you have been placed with one of the partner universities you need to pick your courses as soon as they are available. Some frequently asked questions regarding courses:

What is the level of available courses?

Most exchanges in Europe are at Bachelor's level. Scandinavian partners generally offer Master level courses for exchange students and therefore the basic requirements for those places are higher. In IESE you can check if the university of your choice offers courses at Bachelor or at Master level. You can also check whether it has been possible for LLB students to obtain 30 ECTS at a partner university in the past.

Are Master students allowed to follow Bachelor courses?

Credit points earned with courses studied abroad at bachelor level cannot be used in a Master’s programme. The Dutch Higher Education Act simply prohibits that. Master students are allowed to take Bachelor courses without recognition of the courses in their Groningen programme.

Are Bachelor students allowed to follow Master courses?

Not all universities allow Bachelor students to follow courses at Master level, some partners may be more flexible in this, but this can only be determined after placement of the Bachelor student.

Is the course list available?

When choosing your exchange university (and even after placement) most course lists will not be updated yet for the next academic year, you can choose courses from the available course list, but keep in mind that there might be changes for the next year. Most course lists can be found on the website of the partner university or in IESE.

Can I follow courses at other faculties?

Not all partners allow incoming exchange students to follow courses in other faculties than law, some partners may be more flexible in this, but this can only be determined after placement of the student.

Can I substitute courses?

The Dutch degree Bachelor’s programme is organized in such a way that it is possible to substitute Groningen courses with courses studied abroad. For some elements of the Master's programme this can be done too. Courses that can qualify for substitution are:

  • optional courses
  • the compulsory seminar in the Master’s programme
  • some compulsory courses in the field of European Law and International Law (e.g. European Law 1 and 2, some of the International Law courses and Private International Law) and non-positive law courses such as History of Law 2, Philosophy of Law, Sociology of Law and Economics of Law
  • placements
  • Bachelor’s or Master’s thesis

Any request for exemptions must be arranged well in advance, before the exchange period.

I have to take part in the Studentenrechtbank (student moot court) in Groningen, what should I do?

Exchange students taking part in the Studentenrechtbank (Student Moot Court) and who, in view of their exchange period, cannot be present when the assignments are handed out in the first semester must report this in writing, in advance, to the Student Moot Court secretary.
If there is an urgent reason, it may be possible to complete the writing skills part of the Studentenrechtbank abroad, during the exchange period. This special dispensation requires prior written permission from the Student Moot Court coordinator. Requests to this end can be addressed to the Student Moot Court secretary.
With explicit permission, an exchange student may replace the Groningen Studentenrechtbank with a Moot Court at the host university. The Moot Court at the host university must have equivalent oral and written elements. The Board of Examiners must give its approval beforehand.

How can I get recognition of my courses?

You can gain approval of courses you plan to study abroad from the Board of Examiners. This approval by the Board of Examiners must be obtained before departure. To prevent any delay in your studies the Faculty has a flexible attitude to recognition of results achieved abroad.

Can I get recognition of my language course?

A language course followed at a foreign university does not form part of your law study programme; no credit points will be awarded for passing such a course. However, if such a course is equivalent in terms of number of credits, contents, difficulty and structure to language courses within a law programme here (i.e. English as part of the Dutch-stream International and European Law) it may be considered for ECTS. However, such language courses can only be considered as non-legal courses and therefore can only be the optional part of your programme.

What is the golden rule in choosing courses?

The golden rule here is that you must ask for approval of your courses before departure AND if you have any doubts about the recognition of your courses you must discuss this with your study advisor before departure. This to avoid any disappointment and problems during your exchange and after your return. But most important choose courses that are of interest to you and of relevance to your law programme.

I still have a question regarding course selection

If you have any other questions, please ask at the International Office (during student office hours). 

Last modified:20 October 2022 1.47 p.m.
View this page in: Nederlands