About the project
Students in the Research Master Modern History and International Relations (MHIR) have started analyzing journals relevant to their disciplines in 2010, and their successors continue to do so each year. This website aims to collect their reviews, and offer interested scholars access to our research, while at the same time showcasing the quality of the work of the students in the Research Master MHIR .
Students have analyzed journals both qualitatively and quantitatively, delving into several issues of academic journals dealing with the subjects of History and International Relations. Reviews generally offer an introduction of the journal’s history, followed by an analysis of the themes and topics dealt with by the journal, and also an analysis of the background of the authors.
This project also offers interested parties and prospective students an example of the extent to which the University of Groningen succeeds in making research results easily available, showcasing that the work done by students does not need to gather dust in the archives of our professors.
The overview below lists all the analyzed journals alphabetically.
Overview of journals
Clicking on the name of the journal will take you to the individual review. Please take note of the different volumes analyzed.
Interested parties are invited to first read two introducty articles.
- Introductory article: 'Reviewing History and IR Journals: Academic Publication Practices and Dominance in World Society' by prof. dr. M.G.J. Duijvendak and prof. dr. J.H. de Wilde
- Introductory article: 'The U.S. Monopoly in International Relations and History: a Comparative Analysis of Leading Academic Journals' by Sabine Dankbaar
- Comparative Studies in Society and History by Fenna Plaisier
- European Journal of International Relations by Stefanie Holz
- Foreign Affairs by Yuri van Hoef
- Global Society: Journal of Interdisciplinary International Relations by Yara van 't Groenewout
- History and Theory by Guido van 't Haar
- History and Theory by Marijn Parmentier
- Human rights quarterly in the period by Anouk Baron
- International Affairs by Hanna Brask
- International Relations by Andrei Cazacu
- International Review of Social History by Tess van den Heuvel
- International Security by Anna Buch
- International Studies Quarterly by Martin Duchác
- Journal of African History by Amisah Bakuri
- Journal of African History by Abel Knottnerus
- Journal of Cold War Studies by Jack Michelmore
- Journal of Common Market Studies by Hedwich van der Bij
- Journal of Global History by Daniela Tenger
- Journal of Global History by Bernard Slaa
- Journal of Interdisciplinary History by Maarten Draper
- Journal of International Relations and Development by Yuliya Fruman
- Journal of Peace Research by Amarins Hielkema
- Journal of the History of Ideas by Germa Greving
- Journal of Urban History by Raymon Middelbos
- Millennium: Journal of International Studies by Christian Pfenninger
- Millennium: Journal of International Studies by Marit de Lange
- Past & Present by Philip Heaton
- Past & Present by Nynke Dorhout
- Terrorism and Political Violence by Erika van Leeuwen
- World Politics by Richard Sonneveld
- World Politics by Tim Star