3 Minute Thesis Competition 2020
“An 80,000 word thesis would take 9 hours to present. Your time limit: 3 minutes…”
Three Minute Thesis®
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) competition celebrates the exciting research conducted by Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) students. Developed by The University of Queensland (UQ), 3MT cultivates students’ academic, presentation, and research communication skills.
About the UG 3MT The competition
Since its beginnings at the University of Queensland, 3MT competitions are now held at universities all over the world. The University of Groningen (UG) will hold its annual 3MT competition on March 11th, 2020!
Call for participants
Are you an enthusiastic PhD student and do you enjoy sharing your research with a broader public audience? Apply to participate in this year's UG 3MT competition!
How to apply:
We are looking for 12 participants who would like to compete for the UG 3MT champion title. To apply, please submit a 150 word summary of your presentation plus one slide before February 1st, 2020 via the Apply Now! button below.
Four enthusiastic PhD students will be selected from each Graduate School cluster (Science and Engineering, Medical Sciences, and Social Sciences and Humanities). The 12 selected participants will have the opportunity to participate in training workshops given by media training experts to help you prepare for the competition.
Timeline to the competition:
- 1 February 2020 - deadline application
- 7 February 2020 - selection day (successful applicants will be notified after the weekend)
- 20 February 2020 - presentation training event offered to you by the UG (morning or afternoon) for contestants in the 3MT competition as well as Famelab
- 3 March 2020 - feedback session to perfect your 3MT pitch (afternoon, followed by drinks)
- 11 March 2020 - UG 3MT Competition in the new Groninger Forum, Nieuwe Markt 1 (information on attending the event will be posted here at a later date).
- 31 March 2020 - Deadline for submissions to Coimbra Group 3MT Finals
- 18 April 2020 - top 3 submissions are announced
- 10-12 June 2020, Coimbra Group 3MT Finals in Montpellier, France.
Three prizes are awarded by the jury at the end of the UG 3MT event to the top PhD contestants:
Up to €1,250 travel expenses for an international conference and, if the UG winner will prove to be one of the shortlisted candidates for the Coimbra Group Finals, funded travel and accommodation to represent the University of Groningen at the Coimbra Group Conference in Montpellier.
Up to €500 travel expenses for a conference/workshop
People’s choice award (selected by the audience)
Up to €250 travel expenses for a conference/workshop
Prize winners will be announced at the competition. The decision of the judges is final. Videos of the finalists’ pitches will be posted on the website and the winner will be enrolled in the Coimbra 3MT competition 2020.
Members of the jury in the UG competition will be announced soon.
Coimbra Group Finals
After the UG competition, a video of the winning pitch will be sent to the Coimbra Group. From the submitted video's, their Doctoral Studies Working Group will choose the top three entries by April 18th 2020. These three shortlisted candidates will compete at the Coimbra Group Annual Conference in Montpellier from June 10 - 12, 2020 .
Are you in Science and Engineering or Medical Sciences? We are also hosting a Famelab competition together with ScienceLinx which will be held on March 28th, 2019. Why not register for both?
|Last modified:||16 January 2020 10.55 a.m.|