Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
OnderwijsInternational studentsVisa and ImmigrationVisa and residence permit

Country group III or IV

If you are from a group III or IV country, you need an MVV visa and a residence permit. The University will apply for both in one procedure.


When you have been admitted to a study programme at the University of Groningen, the University will contact you regarding your visa and residence permit application. You will be informed about the documents that we need from you and asked to send those to the University for your visa application. When the University has received all documents and processed your application, the application will be sent to the IND.

The University will keep you updated during the application process.

MVV visa

When the application is approved by the IND, you can make an appointment at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate General in order to collect your MVV visa. The MVV visa is a sticker that will be put in your passport. The MVV needs to be picked up within three months after the approval of your application and from the day you collect the MVV it is valid for three months. If you do not enter the Netherlands within three months your MVV cannot be used any more. It is not possible to extend the validity of your MVV.

Residence permit card

When you go to the embassy for collecting your MVV visa, your fingerprints and photo will be taken and sent to the IND for the production of your residence permit card. Shortly after your arrival – during our Welcoming Ceremony for international students – you can pick up your residence permit card. If you do not attend the Welcoming Ceremony, you will have to travel to the IND desk in Zwolle to pick up your residence permit card.


The residence permit card will be valid for the total duration of your degree or exchange programme plus three more months. Information about the requirements that you must meet in order to keep your residence permit card during it’s total validity period can be found under ‘Modern Migration Policy’.


If you fall behind in your studies but you pass enough classes to continue your programme, your residence permit card will probably expire before you finish your programme. In that case you have to contact the ISD ( in order to apply for an extension of your residence permit card.
Last modified:26 March 2014 09.50 a.m.