Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
OnderwijsInternational studentsVisa and Immigration

Visa and residence permit

If you are a student from country group II, III or IV and you will be staying for longer than three months (90 days), you need an MVV visa (type D - a provisional residence permit) and/or a residence permit card in order to study in the Netherlands. Nationals from country group IA do not need to apply for a visa or residence permit, but can apply for ‘proof of lawful residence’ if necessary.

The University applies for your MVV visa and/or residence permit at the Dutch Immigration Services (IND). You cannot apply yourself.

The University will inform you about the procedure and the documents that are needed for the application.

Please contact Information Services if you have any questions regarding Dutch visas and residence permits.

Modern Migration Policy

According to the Modern Migration Policy students get a residence permit for total duration of their study programme plus three more months. However, students need to obtain at least fifty per cent of their yearly ECTS in order to keep their residence permit during the next academic year, apart from the validity period.

At the end of every academic year the University checks the progress of every non-European student with a residence permit for the purpose of ‘study’.

If you did not pass fifty per cent of your yearly ECTS your residence permit will be revoked by the IND. It is very important to report to your study advisor as soon as possible if you fall behind your studies. If there is an excusable reason you may be able to continue your studies at the University of Groningen.

For questions regarding the Modern Migration Policy, please contact the Information Services - Immigration and Visa ( or go to MoMi for students.

Laatst gewijzigd:25 juli 2017 14:41