Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
EducationBachelor'sBachelor's international studentsFinancial mattersHealth insurance for international studentsAdditional healthcare information

Working next to your studies

As an international student, you are able to work in the Netherlands. However, you are required to have a Dutch health insurance if you have a part-time job.

How to take out a Dutch basic health insurance?
The basic health insurance is mandatory and covers, among other things, hospital treatment.

1. You must be registered at the municipality before you can take out a Dutch basic health insurance.
2. Choose your health insurance from one of the Dutch health insurers. Fill out the application form (online) and sent it to the health insurer.
3. The registration is complete once you have received an insurance policy (in Dutch: polisblad) and a health insurance card.
4. You can apply for healthcare benefit (in Dutch: zorgtoeslag) via the Belastingdienst. Please note that the website is only in Dutch.
5. You should terminate your Dutch public health insurance if you do not have a part-time job or if you are leaving the Netherlands. Please note, that when you leave the Netherlands, you must not forget to deregister from your municipality and to forward them your new postal address. In this way, you will avoid incorrect fines.

If you stay for an orientation year after your studies, as soon as you start working during this year you need to take out a Dutch basic health insurance.