Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Bachelor's Bachelor's international students Admission and application Visa and immigration Intra EU-Mobility (outbound)

Intra EU-Mobility

  • What is Intra EU-Mobility?

    You want to reside and study in a member state of the European Union (excluding Denmark and Ireland) for a maximum of 360 days. You do not need a separate residence permit of that country if you meet the following conditions. 

    The Immigration Service Desk (ISD) will apply to the IND for the outbound intra EU-mobility on your behalf. Your Dutch residence permit card remains valid during your stay abroad. 

    Residence permit cards issued before 29 May 2018 only have the note ‘study’, this means the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) will produce a new residence permit card with the note ‘study, mobility and additional document’. All applicants get an additional document. This is a legal document and you need to carry it abroad together with your residence permit card. 

  • Which EU member states participate in the Intra EU-Mobility?

    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • The Netherlands
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Slovakia
    • Slovenia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
  • Which EU member states do not participate in Intra EU-Mobility?

    • Denmark
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Liechtenstein
    • Norway
    • Switzerland
  • When is this applicable to you?

    You need to meet the following criteria:

    • You are a student of the UG
    • You have a non-EU/EEA nationality
    • You have a valid Dutch residence permit with the purpose of study
    • Your Dutch residence permit is valid the whole exchange period
    • You want to do part of your study programme in one of the participating member states
    • Your exchange period is more than 90 days, with a maximum of 360 days
    • Please note that although you may qualify for the criteria, it is your responsibility to become familiar with the laws and regulations regarding Intra-EU mobility in the relevant EU member state.
  • What do you as a Non-EU/EEA UG student have to do?

    1. Notify your programme coordinator or international office that you are going for exchange in an EU member state that is participating in the Intra EU-mobility.

    2. The programme coordinator or international office notifies the Immigration Service Desk (ISD).

    3. Fill out the Going abroad with a Dutch residence permit form. The filled out form will be automatically send to the ISD.

    4. The ISD will process your filled out form and will notify the IND about your exchange in an EU member state.

    5. The ISD will receive an approval letter for your Intra EU-Mobility. This approval letter can be used next to your valid residence permit.