Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Bachelor's Bachelor's international students Admission and application Visa and immigration Outbound intra EU-Mobility

Outbound intra EU-Mobility

  • What is Intra EU-Mobility?

    You have a valid residence permit with the purpose of study that is issued by a member state of the European Union. You would like to follow a part of your studies in the Netherlands for a maximum of 360 days within the context of intra EU-mobility.
  • Which EU member states participate in the Intra EU-Mobility?

    • Austria
    • Belgium
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Cyprus
    • Czech Republic
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Hungary
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Poland
    • Portugal
    • Romania
    • Slovenia
    • Slovakia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
  • Which EU member states do not participate in Intra EU-Mobility?

    • Denmark
    • Iceland
    • Ireland
    • Liechtenstein
    • Norway
    • Switzerland
    • United Kingdom
  • When is this applicable to you?

    There are certain conditions that apply to everyone:
    • You have a valid passport or another travel document. A child may be included in the passport of one of the parents.
    • You sign an antecedents certificate. The antecedents certificate can be found in the application form. In this certificate you provide information on your criminal record. For example, you state that you have not committed any crimes. Also, you state that you have not submitted any incorrect information, nor have you stayed in the Netherlands illegally. The certificate does not need to be filled in by childeren under the age of 12.
    • After having arrived in the Netherlands, you will undergo a medical test for tuberculosis (TB). You are exempt from having to undergo a TB test in the following situations:
      • You have the nationality of one of the countries listed in the appendix 'Exemption from the obligation to undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test'.
      • You have a valid residence permit in the Netherlands.
      • You have already undergone a TB test in the Netherlands less than 6 months ago.
      • You have an EU residence permit for long-term resident issued by another EU country or are a family member and were already admitted to another EU country as a family member of the long-term resident.

    You do not need a separate Dutch residence permit if you meet the following conditions as a student:
    • You hold a valid residence permit for study, issued by another member state of the European Union.
    • Your stay is part of a Union or multilateral programme comprising mobility measures or a treaty between 2 or more higher education institutes.
    • You will be following a part of your studies at the University of Groningen, which has been recognized as a sponsor by the IND.
    • The mobility does not last longer than 360 days. The mobility falls within the validity of the residence permit issued by the first member state.
    • You have submitted a notification and supporting documents to the IND.
    • There is no proof of severe and objective reason to determine that your residence in the Netherlands serves or would serve another purpose.
    • You have sufficient income. This income is independent and long-term. There are various way to show this.
    • You are not going to carry out work for an employer that would contravene with the Foreign Nationals Employment Act (WAV).
    • You do not represent a threat to public order or national security.
  • What do you as a Non-EU/EEA UG student have to do?

    1. Notify your programme coordinator or international office that you are going for exchange in an EU member state that is participating in the Intra EU-mobility.

    2. The programme coordinator or international office notifies the Immigration Service Desk (ISD).

    3. Fill out the Going abroad with a Dutch residence permit form. The filled out form will be automatically send to the ISD.

    4. The ISD will process your filled out form and will notify the IND about your exchange in an EU member state.

    5. The ISD will receive an approval letter for your Intra EU-Mobility.

    6. The ISD will notify you to pick up your new residence permit at the IND desk in Zwolle.

    7. You are required to make an appointment online and pick up your new residence permit at the IND desk in Zwolle.