5 Ways the Beurs is [Probably] Smarter than you
|Date:||11 February 2020|
1. Fossil Fuel Free
The Beurs is an entirely renewable energy powered building. All old oil radiators were removed during the renovation process. It runs on entirely electricity with zero gas or any fossil fuels being used. It is the first all-electric educational monument building in the Netherlands.
2. Gets all its Nutrients from the Dutch Sun
Although we wish we could sometimes, because it would make our lives much easier, we cannot get all our nutrients from the sun. However, the Beurs can, here are 362 solar panels on the roof producing around 900 kilowatts of power per month. Obviously different types of equipment consume different amounts of energy. But to give you an idea, one kW powers roughly three hours of watching your favourite series on TV, two days on your laptop or boiling the kettle ten times.
3. It Always has Good Lighting
The Beurs has completely made the switch from halogen and incandescent bulbs to LED lighting. This is a very smart and energy-efficient move. LED lights only lose 5% of its energy through the heat it produces converting the other 95% into light. Aside from the obvious energy-saving factor there’s is also a sustainability factor. LED lighting has a much longer operational life, lasting up to 25 times longer than halogen and incandescent bulbs.
4. Balanced like a Yogi
Unlike most of us, the Beurs is pretty balanced and zen. The amazing restoration team for the building has managed to balance 100% old and 100% new throughout their process. The builders realigned the windows to the ground floor which is how they used to be positioned when it was built in 1880.
5. From the Ground Up
A combined heat and power plant has been drilled into the floor and the floor has been insulated. Extra walls have been installed to help insulate the monumental single-paned glass. This was done to ensure the insulation value of the facade so that we don’t lose heat or energy through the walls. Going from an energy label of G, which is the lowest, to earning a B, the second-highest.