In Science - Podcast
In Science is the University of Groningen podcast where we interview researchers and bring you the latest news and reports from the academic community in Groningen. You can listen to In Science on Spotify, Apple Podcast, Stitcher or directly through our RSS feed. Subscribe and don't miss a single episode! Got a question or a suggestion for an interesting topic? Mail us at podcast rug.nl or text us on WhatsApp: 06-49230111.
In Science: Episode 13 - Sahar El Aidy
Our guest this episode is Assistent Professor Sahar El Aidy. She tells us about her research on the relation between the gut and the brain. Wim, Nanna and Arjen ask her in what way gut bacteria can influence our mood, health and sometimes even the medication we take. Also, Arjen discusses the research of Theunis Piersma on the migratory flyway of birds. This is the first "In de Wetenschap" (In Science) podcast recorded in English.
Previous episodes (all in Dutch):
- Episode 12: Our guest is prof. dr. Louwrens Hacquebord. Forty years ago, he organised the first archeological expedition to Spitsbergen for the University of Groningen. The Spitsbergen 79 exhibition in the University Museum illustrates under what circumstances researchers had to work on Spitsbergen. Wim, Nanna and Arjen interview Louwrens about his experiences during the expedition.
- Episode 11: This episode Wim and Nanna interview Caspar van den Berg, Professor in Global and Local Governance at the Campus Fryslân faculty. They discuss his research on growing social and economic inequality between regions and the relation with the recent farmer protests and election results. Also, Arjen Dijkstra tells about the role of the university in Friesland over the years.
- Episode 10: This episode features Amina Helmi, Professor of Dynamics, Structure and Formation of the Milky Way and winner of the Spinoza Prize 2019. She and her team discovered that about 10 billion years ago, the Milky Way merged with a large galaxy. October 2018 she published her findings in an article in Nature. We interview her about the research and what receiving the Spinoza award means to her.
- Episode 9: Our guest is Steffie van der Steen. Her research concerns animal-assisted therapy and she tries to determine if this therapy really is working and if so, why does it work?
- Episode 8: Professor Casper Albers is interviewed by Wim Brons and Nanna Hilton about the use of applied statistics in the media, fact checking and more.
- Episode 7: Ass. Professor Katherine Stroebe & Professor Tom Postmes discuss their research on the effects of earthquakes as a results of gas extraction on the health of people in the region.
- Episode 6: Professor Peter Verhoef on the effects of the platform economy.
- Episode 5: Wim and Nanna interview Anton Scheurink, Professor Neuroendocrinology about Anorexia and addiction.
- Episode 4: Niels Taatgen is interviewed on the latest developments in AI and the new CogniGron institute.
- Episode 3: dr. Marthe Walvoort talks about her research on sugar and the effects on health and illness.
- Episode 2: dr. Marie José van Tol on the use of cognitive therapy in preventing depression relapse.
- Episode 1: In the 1st episode Mickel Hansen is interviewed on being part of the doing ground breaking research as part of the Ben Feringa group.
|Last modified:||17 January 2020 5.27 p.m.|