prof. dr. L.V.E. (Léon) Koopmans
21-cm Cosmology: The CoDEX ERC program
- LOFAR EoR KSP: I'm PI of a key-project on the Low-Frequency Array that aims to be the first the detect and quantify neutral hydrogen in the first one billion years of the Universe with the goal to study early star and galaxy formation. [PI]
- AARTFAAC Cosmic Explorer (ACE): I lead a ~500hr program with AARTFAAC to set limits on the 21-cm signal of neutral hydrogen from the Cosmic Dawn [PI].
- NCLE/Chang'e4: I'm part of the science team of the Netherlands-China Low-Frequency Explorer NCLE instrument on board of the relay satellite for the Chinese Chang'e4 lunar mission. [Dutch Science co-PI]
- NenuFar: I am leading a project to target the 21-cm signal of neutral hydrogen from the Cosmic Dawn with the French NenuFar radio-interferometer, the most sensitive low-frequency array in the world on angular scales of arcminutes to degrees. [PI]
- SKA EoR/CD Science Team/SWG: I'm deeply involved in helping to design the next-generation global Square Kilometre Array radio telescope SKA (LOW in particular) for direct tomographic observations of neutral hydrogen only a few hundred million years after the Big Bang, as well as prepare for one of its major key science projects [Founding Chair].
- Euclid Strong Lensing SWG: I work together with the Euclid Strong-Lensing working group to develop tools to find and model new strong gravitational lens system that ESA's Euclid satellite (2020+) will discover. [Science Team]
- KiDS/VIKING: A new project to find strong gravitational lenses in the VST-KiDS survey, also as test-bed and preparation for Euclid. [PI]
- SHARP: High-resolution follow-up of strong gravitational, using laser guide star adaptive-optics with Keck, HST, VLBI and ALMA. The goals are to constrain e.g. dark-matter substructure in galaxies. [Founding member]
- SLACS: The largest strong gravitational lensing survey to date, discovering ~150 lens systems from the SDSS with follow-up using HST, Keck, VLT, etc. The project involved the development of state-of-the-art lensing and dynamical modelling codes. Goals are the study of galaxy structure and evolution of massive early-type galaxies. [PI]
- TDCOSMO/H0LiCOW: A program to measure the expansion rate of the Universe, recently showing a tension between early and late Universe measurements of the Hubble Constant, potentially due to a breakdown of the standard cosmological model. [Founding member]
|Last modified:||24 June 2022 11.59 p.m.|