prof. dr. D.P. van Donk
Dirk Pieter van Donk is a Professor in Operations Management in the Department Operations, University of Groningen, The Netherlands. He teaches and taught a number of courses in Production/Operations Management both at the undergraduate and graduate level. His main research areas are Supply Chain Management and Integration, and planning/scheduling in the (food) processing industries. In the field of Supply Chain Management the main research questions relate to a better understanding of supply chain integration: the need for it, its dimensions, the relationship with ICT, and the effects on performance. In food processing the main focus is to better understand how specific characteristics influence planning and scheduling. Some themes here are the location of the Decoupling Point, combined Make-to-Order/Make-to-Stock and two-stage systems with intermediate storage.
He has published in Journal of Operations Management, Journal of Supply Chain Management, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, International Journal of Project Management, International Journal on Production Economics, International Journal of Production Research, Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, and Chemical Engineering Research and Design. He is a reviewer for a number of the above Operations Management journals. Currently he also is Associate Editor of the Journal of Operations Management, and of the International Journal of Operations & Production Management. He organized international conferences and workshops (see below) and edited a special issues for JOM and four for IJOPM.
- Outstanding Paper Award 1994 for Dirk Pieter van Donk, Geert Sanders (1993): Organizational Culture as a Missing Link in Quality Management, in: International Journal of Quality and Reliability Management, Vol. 10, No. 5, pp. 5-15.
- Highly Commended Paper Award 2007 for Taco van der Vaart & Dirk Pieter van Donk (2006): Buyer-focused operations as a supply chain strategy: Identifying the influence of business characteristics, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 8-23.
- The Chris Voss Best Paper Award (EurOMA 14th International Conference, Ankara, Turkey, June 2007) for Dirk Pieter van Donk, Taco van der Vaart, Cristina Giménez, Business conditions, integration and performance in supply chains.
- The Chris Voss Highly Commended Award (EurOMA 23rd Conference, Trondheim, Norway, 2016) for Dirk Pieter van Donk, Christina Sancha, Kirstin Scholten: Building resilient supply chains: the role of supply chain integration.
- Outstanding reviewer (2018) for International Journal of Operations & Production Management.
- The ISM (Institute for Supply Management) 2018 Academy of Management Best Paper Award – Runner Up, for “Wrong Time, Wrong Place: The Role of Collaboration in Mitigating Disruptions in Complex Networks”, Mitchell van den Adel, Thom de Vries and Dirk Pieter van Donk.
- Harry Boer Best Student Paper Award (18th EurOMA conference, Cambridge, England, 2011) for Justin Drupsteen (co-authored by Taco van der Vaart, Dirk Pieter van Donk) for the paper: Integrative practices in hospitals and their impact on patient flow.
- Harry Boer Best Student Paper Award 2015 (22th Euroma Conference, Neuchatel, Switzerland) for Aline Seepma (co-authored by Carolien de Blok, Dirk Pieter van Donk), for the paper: Justice or efficiency versus justice and efficiency: findings from three Western criminal justice chains.
Academic service and conference organization
- Member Scientific Committee EurOMA Conference from 2006 onwards.
- Co-chair 15th International Annual EurOMA Conference, Tradition and Innovation in Operations Management: connecting Past and Future , 15-18 June, 2008 Groningen.
- General chair of the 4th P&OM World Conference 2012 Amsterdam, Serving the World, 1-5 July, 2012, Amsterdam.
- Staff on Publishing Workshop EurOMA, one day event before the annual conference, 2014-2017, 2020.
- Co-initiator of the EurOMA Sustainable Operations and Supply Chains Forum and co-chair of the 1st edition of this Forum, 2014, March 24-25, Groningen.
Dirk Pieter van Donk earned his PhD in Business Administration in 1995 and holds master degrees in Econometrics and Business Administration.
|Last modified:||09 November 2020 3.37 p.m.|