Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Research Urban and Regional Studies Institute CASUS

Energy in Transition

'Energy Systems in Transition' (Marie Curie ITN, European Commission, 2017–2021) To facilitate the necessary energy transition there is an urgent need for scientific knowledge and professional skills to analyse, understand and design relevant new energy systems and governance in different sectors and administration. Emphasis is on the modeling collaboration and model ecology to develop state of the art science of energy systems transition scenarios, analysis and energy tools with an intersectoral, and interdisciplinary perspectives. Accessible energy science based on open source work environments. Application area and living lab is the North Sea Region. The project focuses on three areas: Developing tools for analysis and scenario development, actor behaviour & interactions, policy & market design. The consortium of 6 academic and 23 non-academic partners includes The University of Edinburgh, Aalborg University, Europa–Universitaet Flensburg, Chalmers Technical University, Offshore Renewable Energies Catapult (Scotland), World Wind Association (Germany), Norwegian Energy Partners, Engie Energie Nederland, or the Swedish Energy Agency. C. Yamu has the lead for the Faculty of Spatial Sciences.

NICHE Capacity Development Programme for Mozambique, PhD Research Grant (2017–2021, supervisor) The demand for electricity consumption is rapidly growing in many parts of the world. Its access is considered as an indicator for improving the quality of people’s lives such as enhanced healthcare and education, mainly in developing countries. Nevertheless, in 2015 it was estimated that more than 1.2 billion people worldwide (17% of the population) have no access to electricity services most of them concentrated in developing countries. In Mozambique for example, only about 20% of the 25 million of its inhabitants living in urban areas have access to electricity. For the remaining 80% of the population, living in rural areas, their access for electricity is very low. This project focuses on the simulation and optimization of distributed clean energy in the context of sustainability to explore potentials for different areas in Mozambique.

Last modified:16 February 2018 09.36 a.m.