With a major new release of the Martini force field (Martini 3.0) imminent, it is also appropriate to perform an update on the inspiration for the force field: the Martini cocktail. We know the Classic Martini, Vodka Martini, Dirty Martini, Perfect Martini and other, but after an evening of hard work we now have the Martini 3.0 cocktail too! It was a close competition between several recipes, with Siewert's vermouth/vodka/limoncello/grapefruit juice combination coming in third place. Jonathan managed to harvest some of the blood, sweat and especially tears of the developers to create a vermouth, cointreau, cognac and champagne cocktail. It was beaten by one vote by the winner: Pim's cucumber Martini. Please follow the recipe below for when you're waiting for your simulations to complete!
1. Prepare a cucumber sirup by pureeing a cucumber and adding half-3/4 of its weight in sugar, depending on your sweet tooth. Dissolve and homogenise by boiling briefly.
2. Add 0.5 units of Martini extra dry vermouth and 2 units of good quality vodka to a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Shake briefly but vigorously.
3. Add 0.5-1 tablespoon of cucumber syrup to the bottom of a Martini glass.
4. Use a bar spoon (or teaspoon) to carefully pour the Martini mixture on top of the cucumber liquid. While phase separation will occur spontaneously (try a concentrated sugar solution and an alcohol solution using the force field), it is easier to keep the phases separate to begin with. The ice should remain in the shaker.
5. Serve with a cocktail pick or rosemary twig decorated with a cucumber, olive and caper bead and watch the Normal, Small and Tiny beads partition over the 2 phases.
6. Enjoy! Send us your pictures or comments!
RUG verleent eredoctoraat aan voormalig VN secretaris-generaal Ban Ki-moon
RUG op plek 39 in Europe Teaching Excellence ranking
De Wierenga-Rengerinkprijs voor de RUG-promovendus met de beste dissertatie in 2017, is toegekend aan dr. Alain Dekker voor zijn proefschrift ‘Down & Alzheimer: Behavioural biomarkers of a forced marriage’.