Proficiency in English
In order to work as a PhD student at the Faculty of Law non-Dutch candidates need to be proficient in English. Therefore a certified language test is required. Accepted tests are:
- IELTS: International English Language Testing System
- TOEFL: Test of English as a Foreign Language
- CPE: Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency of English
- CAE: Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English
The minimum criteria that are required for IELTS or TOEFL are:
- IELTS: a score of > 7.0, all section scores should at least be 6.5 plus a writing score of at least 7.0
- TOEFL: a score of > 100, all section scores should at least be 23 plus a writing score of at least 25
Candidates are exempt from proving proficiency in English if they:
- are a native speaker and have completed secondary education in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia;
- have already completed a bachelor as well as a masters program in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia.
If the above mentioned requirements for exemption are not met, proof of English proficiency is still required, even if English was the medium of instruction during previous education.
|Last modified:||01 October 2018 09.51 a.m.|