The U4 Social Sciences, Economics and Law (SSEL) Conference on 'Current Challenges for a Sustainable Future' is organized from 21 to 23 November 2018 in Göttingen in the congress center Pauliner Church and aims to bring together researchers and PhD students from the participating universities (Ghent, Göttingen, Groningen and Uppsala).
The conference theme Current Challenges for a Sustainable Future operates on many levels in society. It involves challenges emerging from different aspects of the evolving patterns concerning institutions and governance, legal systems, sustainable policies, social inclusion, environmental innovations, jobs of the future, automation, migration, human rights, climate change, global value chains, among others.
The conference will host a number of sessions organized into panels focused on specific topics:
Researchers and PhD students are kindly invited to send in abstracts to be included in one of the below panels of the conference.
1. Good Institutions for Sustainability Policies: How can institutions make a difference for reaching sustainable policies?
2. Social Sustainability at Work: Current pathways towards better living and working conditions
3. (Societal) impact of SSEL research: case studies and reflections on co-creation and transdisciplinarity
4. Neo-Constitutionalism, Populism, and the Sustainability of Democracy
5. New Pathways to Sustainability? The Governance of Circular and Sharing Economies
6. Sustained influence? The role of religious actors in politics
7. Sustainable Care (Net-)Work in Europe
8. Gender Equality and Development
9. The economic effects of automation
10. Current Challenges Related to Flight and Migration
11. Current Challenges in European Medical Law
12. Law, policy, and practice for women's health & sustainable development
13. #Metoo, consent and coercion - Discussing law and legal practice of sexual offences in Europe
14. "Sustainable" surveillance? - Framing a modern basis for control and supervision of surveillance practices
15. Towards Sustainable Credit Transactions: Responsible Lending as a Guiding Concept
16. Effects of private sustainability standards on different actors along the global food supply chain
The deadline for submissions of abstracts is 30 April 2018. Please use the conference website (will be published soon) for uploading and submitting your abstract.
Deadline for abstract submission30 April 2018
Deadline for notification of acceptance15 June 2018
Definitive selection of panels15 June 2018
Deadline for registration10 September 2018
Start of conference21 November 2018
End of conference23 November 2018
Ten University of Groningen (UG) Bachelor’s degree programmes have been awarded the ‘Top Degree Programme’ title in this year’s Dutch Higher Education Guide (Keuzegids), placing them at the top of Dutch academic education. In the ‘Broad-based General...
Het Groninger Universiteitsfonds (GUF) bestaat dit jaar 125 jaar. Tijdens een speciaal symposium met de titel ‘Gaswinning, aardbevingen en wat nu?’ op donderdag 15 november 2018, wordt daarom de 'Ubbo Emmiuspenning voor bijzondere maatschappelijke verdiensten'...
De Rijksuniversiteit Groningen telt per 1 november 2018 31.115 studenten met een ‘actieve eerste inschrijving’ voor een bachelor of masteropleiding. Dit is een stijging van 4,6% ten opzichte van 2017.Het totale aantal studenten dat ingeschreven is aan...