Research Projects in Various Fields
The Master's degree programme is coordinated by the Groningen Institute for Evolutionary Life Sciences (GELIFES; http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/).
GELIFES focuses its research on the level of the individual
organism (behaviour, physiology, morphology, genetics, development)
and on higher levels of organisation (population, communities,
ecosystems). The research is being done on a broad range of
organisms (terrestrial-marine; microorganisms-plants-animals) with
a broad range of methods and approaches (field, lab, theoretical).
A hallmark of GELIFES is that we strive to integrate mechanistic
approaches (how does an organism function?) with evolutionary
approaches (why does the organisms function as it does?). We
specifically aim to integrate these fields that are traditionally
studied in isolation.
GELIFES is part of the Faculty of Science and Engineering and embraces six research groups:
- Behavioural & Physiological Ecology ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/bpe )
- Conservation Ecology Group ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/ceg/ )
- Evolutionary Genetics, Development & Behaviour ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/egdb/ )
- Genomics Research in Ecology & Evolution in Nature ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/green/ )
- Neurobiology ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/neurobiology/ )
- Theoretical Research in Evolutionary Life Sciences ( http://www.rug.nl/research/gelifes/tres/ )