Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us FEB Education / FEB Admission and application Application route - Master Apply for a Master

Step 3: Prepare for your stay

We are happy that you decided to study at the University of Groningen. In order to jump-start your studies you will have to arrange a lot of things. Where will you live? Will you need a residence permit or a visa? And what about health insurance?


Whether you are coming to the Netherlands for the first time or you are relocating to Groningen, you will be looking for a place to call home. In Groningen, students live in student housing or private accommodation. As it is often difficult to find accommodation in Dutch cities, we advise you to start searching for housing as earliest as possible. Keep in mind that over 20,000 students will be searching for a accommodation at the same time as you.

Watch the video below and listen to the students' experiences on finding a room.

What are your options?

  • SSH Student Housing - you can rent one of the 1,500 rooms the University of Groningen has reserved for international students.
  • Private accommodation - you can search and rent a room from private landloards on various websites such as At Home In Groningen, Funda, WoningNet.
  • Long-stay hotel - The Student Hotel
  • For advice on looking for accommodation, please visit Accommodation in Groningen.

Introduction programme for new students

At the University of Groningen we want our students to have a great start with their studies. That's why the university and the faculty are organising a wide range of introduction events to make sure all the new students feel at home and ready to start their studies.

Get Started

On the introduction page for students at the Faculty of Economics and Business, you can find important information about the start of the academic year, the introduction events and instructions on how to enrol for courses. Please note that some of the introduction events are compulsory to all students.

For general questions applicable to all international students you can find answers on our website for international applicants.

Residence permit and visa (non-EU students)

Do you need an MVV visa and/or residence permit? The University applies for your MVV visa and/or residence permit at the Dutch Immigration Services (IND). Please note that you cannot apply yourself. You can find more information on the visa procedure and residence permit page.

Working next to your studies

As an international student moving to the Netherlands, you might be interested in working part-time along your studies or starting a internship. Please be aware that it might be difficult to find a part-time student job and that all our degree programmes are challenging and full time. You can find more information about the work regulations and conditions in the Netherlands, work permits, job portals on our website job information for international students.

The faculty offers students of all MSc programmes (except for the Research Master) the possibility of doing a Master Internship (MI) .

More questions?

For general questions applicable to all international students you can contact our student ambassadors by filling in this form. Or feel free to find more information on our website for international applicants.

Last modified:28 October 2019 2.19 p.m.