Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education PhD programmes Prospective PhD Candidates

Moving to Groningen - The Netherlands

Before you move to Groningen, you will need to arrange a number of things, especially if you come from abroad. Some procedures may differ according to the type of PhD student you are – employed by the University or on a scholarship
If you are a researcher or PhD student  from
country group II, III or IV and you will be staying for longer than three months (90 days), you need an MVV visa (type D - a provisional residence permit) and/or a residence permit card in order to live and work as a researcher in the Netherlands. Nationals from Croatia (country group 1A) do not need to apply for a visa or residence permit, but could apply for a 'proof of lawful residence'.

The University applies for your MVV visa and/or residence permit at the Dutch Immigration Services (IND). You cannot apply yourself. The University will inform you about the procedure and the documents that are needed for the application

Please contact the Information Services  if you have any questions regarding Dutch visas and residence permits. In case you need to extend your residence permit, please contact the Information Services.

You can also ask questions on one of the many University of Groningen Facebook Pages and Groups. You can find most of them through the officia
l University of Groningen Facebook Page .

Click the links below for more information about

Last modified:28 May 2021 10.13 a.m.
printView this page in: Nederlands