Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Working at the University of Groningen That is why you work at the UG Practical matters


For a stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, there are some formalities that need to be taken care of. If you are from country group I you can skip the paragraph about visa and residence permit.

Visa and residence permit

For a stay in the Netherlands longer than 90 days, non-European citizens need an MVV visa to enter the country (depending on their nationality and purpose of stay in the Netherlands) and a residence permit for the period of their stay. The residence permit also includes the work permit. An MVV visa is a sticker placed in your passport at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate General in your own country or in the country in which you legally reside. After your arrival in the Netherlands you will get a residence permit card.

The Immigration Service Desk - Team Staff (ISD) of the University will apply for your visa and residence permit at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) on your behalf. Since these applications take some time, the ISD intends to start with the application 3 months before your arrival. You will receive further information regarding these applications from the ISD or your contact person at the University.

Registration at City Hall

After arrival you will have to register at City Hall if you will be staying in the Netherlands for at least 4 months. For your registration you need to have a signed rental agreement and a legalised birth certificate. Please visit the website of Euraxess or contact your Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the Dutch Embassy (or Consulate General) for more information about legalisation. EU/EEA staff will get further instructions on the registration from the HR department, non-EU/EEA staff get these instructions from the ISD.

Please note: every town and city in the Netherlands keeps a register of everyone living there. As a foreign national, you need to register with your local authority at the start of your immigration procedure. To keep the population register accurate and up-to-date, you are required to report any changes in your address to your local authority. This obligation applies to Dutch nationals and foreign nationals alike.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

As a result of the above mentioned registration at the City Hall you will receive your personal Citizen Service Number (BSN) within a few weeks. You need your BSN in order to apply for health insurance, a bank account, a phone subscription, and to receive your salary, for example.

Laatst gewijzigd:24 februari 2022 08:39