Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Working at the University of Groningen That is why you work at the UG Practical matters


If you are from country group IV and you wish to stay in the Netherlands for a maximum of 90 days, you have to apply for a short-stay visa. A short-stay visa is a sticker placed in your passport. The application for a short-stay visa should be submitted at the Dutch Embassy or Consulate General in your own country (or in the country in which you legally reside). The University is not involved in this application.

Please keep in mind that a short-stay visa cannot be extended nor changed to another type of visa. A short-stay visa enables you to spend up to 90 days in a period of 180 days in the Schengen area. The short-stay calculator helps you calculate how many days you can spend in the Schengen area in a certain period, if you have already entered the Schengen area within the past 180 days.

Citizens from country groups I, II, and III can spend up to 90 days in the Schengen area based on their nationality and do not need to apply for a visa.

If you are a non-European national and your stay in the Netherlands will be for more than 90 days, the University has to apply for a visa and residence permit for you. Please read more at Immigration.

Last modified:24 September 2020 07.01 a.m.