Prof. dr. ir. C.H. (Caspar) van der Wal
PhD's and Postdocs
Carmem Maia Gilardoni (Postdoc 2021-2022)
- Topic: Quantum optics with defects in SiC
- Email: C.Maia.Gilardoni@rug.nl
- Tel. +(31) 50 363 8974
- Office: 5113.0139
Joop Hendriks (PhD student 2020-2023)
- Topic: Quantum optics with defects in SiC
- Email: J.Hendriks@rug.nl
- Tel. +(31) 50 363 4974
- Office: 5113.0227
Bachelor and (Top) Master Students
We have always options for projects but can only host a few projects at the same time. Contact us in any case (early!).
|Michael Bruno||Physics Bachelor project 2022|
|Alex Rommens||Physics Bachelor project 2022, exchange with IST Austria|
|Adrian Sidhu||Physics Master project 2022-2023|
|Rick Beltman||Physics Master project 2022-2023|
|Thomas Fortuin||Physics Master project 2022-2023, collaboration Taminiau Lab QuTech TU Delft|
Previous Team Members: Staff
|Xu Yang||PhD student 2015-2019, postdoc 2020-2021 (project with profs. Van Wees, Herrmann)||-|
|Talieh Ghiasi||PhD student 2016-2020, postdoc 2020-2021 (main supervisor was prof. Van Wees)||-|
|Tom Bosma||PhD student 2016-2020||Engineer at Microsoft Station Q Copenhagen|
|Madhu Bettadahalli Nandishaiah (publishing as B. N. Madhushankar)||PhD student 2015-2019 (main supervisor was prof. Van Wees)||-|
|Jorge Quereda Bernabeu||Postdoc 2016-2019 (main supervisor was prof. Van Wees)||Research staff at University of Salamanca, Spain|
|Gerjan Lof||PhD student 2014-2018 (project with profs. Havenith, Loi, Broer)||R&D engineer at ASML|
|Jakko de Jong||PhD student 2012-2016, Postdoc 2016||Working at QNH Consultants|
|Olger Zwier||PhD student 2012-2016||Design engineer at ASML|
|Sander Onur||PhD student 2010-2014, Postdoc 2015-2016||Medical Physicist in Training/Researcher at UMC Utrecht|
|Danny O’Shea||Postdoc 2012-2014, NWO-Veni fellow recipient 2014||Modified career due to circumstances|
|Diederik Perdok||Research assistant 2013 (project with profs. Loi, Broer, Havenith)||Researcher and data analyst at Intelligence2Integrity|
|Alok Chaubal||PhD student 2009-2014||Design engineer at ASML|
|Javaid Iqbal||PhD student 2007-2012||Assistant professor at Centre of Excellence in Solid State Physics, University of the Punjab, Lahore, Pakistan|
|Sergii Denega||PhD student 2007-2011||R&D position at ASML|
|Maksym Saldkov||PhD student 2006-2010||R&D position at ASML|
|Pedro Rizo||PhD student 2005-2009 (with prof. Van Loosdrecht)||Mapper Lithography and ASML|
|Ji Liu||PhD student 2005-2009||Raising a family in China|
|Thorsten Last||Postdoc 2006-2008 (with prof. Van Wees)||Research associate at UC Berkeley, USA|
|Erik Koop||PhD student 2004-2008||R&D position at ASML|
Previous Team Members: Students
- Sietse Dijt (Topmaster Nanoscience literature study with report 2022)
Towards Quantum Biosensing with Defect Spins in Silicon Carbide
- Amara Zahid (short Top Master project 2021)
On designing SiC waveguide structures
- Irina Ion (Physics Master project 2019-2020)
Thesis title: Microwave driving of transition metal defect spins coupled to nuclear spins in SiC
- Danny van Hien (Applied Physics Master project 2018-2019)
Thesis title: Time-resolved experiments on molybdenum impurity spins in silicon carbide
- Robbert Julius (Applied Physics Bachelor project, with Honours College extension, 2019)
Waveguiding in highly p- and n-doped silicon carbide
- Pieter Wolff (Applied Physics Bachelor project 2019)
Modelling time-resolved photo-luminescence of multi-level quantum emitters
- Wastu Ginanjar (Applied Physics Bachelor project 2019)
Level structure and selection rules for transitions of quantum emitters in silicon carbide
- Miina Leiviska (Topmaster Nanoscience literature study with report 2019),
Spin- and optically-active transition-metal defects in SiC
- Hans Beukers (Physics Master project 2018-2019, collaborative project carried out at QuTech TU Delft, group prof. Ronald Hanson)
Thesis title: Improving coherence of quantum memory during entanglement creation between nitrogen vacancy centres in diamond – The cure for quantum Alzheimer?
(Winner MSc thesis prize)
- Frits Kernkamp (Applied Physics Master project 2017-2018)
Thesis title: Towards transport measurements of chiral induced spin selectivity in organic molecules on graphene: Theoretical foundations and experimental design
- Freddie Hendriks (Physics Master project 2017-2018)
Thesis title: Spin-active color centres in silicon carbide, fundamental description and novel experimental techniques
- Xiangyang Wei (Nanoscience Top Master project 2017-2018)
Thesis title: Optical waveguides formed by silicon carbide on doped substrates: For enhanced optical manipulation of defect spin qubits in silicon carbide
- Wessel Brinkhuis (Applied Physics Bachelor project 2018)
Thesis title: Towards slow light with inhomogeneous ensembles of color centers in silicon carbide: Modeling inhomogeneous broadening in SiC c-axis divacancies
- Feitze van Zwol (Physics Master project 2016-2017)
Thesis title: Instrumentation development of a high-resolution two-laser spectroscopy setup and its applications to solid state devices
- Carmem Maia Gilardoni (Nanoscience Top Master project 2016-2017)
Thesis title: Transport Properties of Graphene Field Effect Transistors Functionalized with Photosystem I
- James Lyon (Bachelor project 2017, collaboration with SRON)
Thesis title: Performance Analysis of Low Temperature Superconducting Flux Pump
- Fran Simic (Bachelor project 2017)
Thesis title: Single-mode waveguiding in n-doped 4H-SiC
- Robert van der Velde (Bachelor project 2017)
Thesis title: Waveguiding in highly n-doped silicon carbide
- Elias Brul (Bachelor project 2017)
Thesis title: Mechanical and Electrical characterization of Photosystem I adsorbed on graphene
- Floris van Nyendaal (Bachelor project 2017)
Thesis title: Photoresponse of a Graphene-based Si/SiO2 Field-Effect Transistor
- Evelien Zwanenburg (Bachelor project 2016)
Thesis title: Conducting probe measurements of photo-active photosystem I monolayers on graphene
- Maarten Degen (Nanoscience Top Master project 2015-2016, exchange visit to MIT)
Thesis title: Engineering, control and effects of field amplitude distributions in solid-state devices with nanoscale optical emitters
- Tom Bosma (Physics Master project 2015-2016)
Thesis title: Electron and Spin Transport in Graphene and Metallic Channels with Photosystem I Monolayers
- Mikhail Dryzhov (Bachelor student honors project 2015-2017)
Thesis title: Preparation and characterization of self-assembled photosystem-I on graphene
- Joop Adema (Bachelor project 2015)
Thesis title: Excited State Spectroscopy and Optical Bleaching in c-axis divacancies in Silicon Carbide
- Feitze van Zwol (Bachelor project 2015)
Thesis title: Simulations on single-mode waveguides in GaAs
- Henry de Vries (Bachelor project 2015)
Thesis title: Optimizing Photoluminescence Retrieval from Gallium Arsenide in a Fiber-Based Cryogenic Environment
- Camiel van Hooff (Bachelor project 2015, collaboration with SRON)
Thesis title: On the Development of a Far-infrared Thermal Image Generator
- Hallo Arbely (Bachelor project 2015, collaboration with SRON)
Thesis title: Calculations of Higher Modes in Pyramidal Horn Antennas
- Xu Yang (Thesis project top master NanoScience 2014-2015)
continued as a PhD student in our team
Thesis title: Controlling Optical Interactions with Divacancy Spin Ensembles in Silicon Carbide: Towards a Quantum Memory
- Sebastien Volker (Master project 2014-2015)
continued on a management trainee position at UMCG Groningen
Thesis title: Simulating the Emission of Spontaneous Spin-Flip Raman Photons from Ensembles of Donor-Bound Electrons in n-GaAs
- Urvashi Gupta (Master research project 2014-2015, exchange student from IISER India)
continued to finish her master degree in India
- Carmem Maia Gilardoni (Exchange student project 2014)
continued to finish her bachelor degree in Brazil, and came back to Groningen for the Nanoscience Top Master Program
- Angad Singh (Research internship, visiting student 2014)
continued to finish his bachelor degree in India
- Xavi Bonet Monroig (Erasmus bachelor project 2014)
continued to finish his bachelor degree in Valencia, Spain, and in master studies
- Diederik Perdok (Master project 2012-2013)
continued as a research assistant in our team
- Jorrit Sloot (Bachelor and Master project 2010-2012)
continued as consultant data analytics at Deloitte
- Olger Zwier (Master project 2011-2012)
continued as PhD student in our team
- Jakko de Jong (Master project 2011-2012)
continued as PhD student in our team
- Rianne Lous (Top Master student 2011-2012, exchange visit to Harvard)
continued as PhD student in the group of prof. Grimm, Institut für Quantenoptik und Quanteninformation, Innsbruck, Austria
- Rob Bremer (Master student 2011-2012)
continued on an industrial career
- Jasper van der Velde (short Top Master project 2011)
continued as PhD student in the group of prof. Cordes in Groningen
- Morten Bakker (Top Master project 2009-2010)
continued as PhD student in the group of prof. Bouwmeester in Leiden
PERIOD TO BE COMPLETED 2008-2011
- 2008 Andrii Rudavskyi (Topmaster research project), Optical probing of spin dynamics in devices etched in GaAs heterostructures.
- 2008 Sander Kamerbeek (Bachelor research project), Optical waveguides in semiconductor heterostructures.
- 2008 Brian Smith (Topmaster literature study with report), Solid-state quantum computing.
- 2008 Joost Flipse (Bachelor research project) Spin relaxation in quantum dots.
- 2008 Josbert Mulder (Bachelor research project) Low-noise detection scheme for optical studies on spins in semiconductors.
- 2007 Niels van der Kaap (Bachelor research project) Polarization maintaining fibers for addressing spin in semiconductors with a cryogenic microscope.
- 2007 Sander Kamerbeek (Bachelor instrumentation project), Automated measurements on quantum dots with rapid data transfer.
- 2007 Arjen van der Pal (Bachelor instrumentation project), Control of quantized conductance demonstration setup.
- 2006 Maksym Sladkov (Topmaster research project, with Prof. Bart van Wees), Microwave control of spintronics.
- 2006 Xinglan Liu (Topmaster literature study with report) Quantum optics wit BEC’s.
- Bram Slachter (Bachelor and Master project 2004-2006)
continued as PhD student in the group of prof. Van Wees in Groningen, before going to ASML
- 2006 Bram Slachter (Topmaster research project, with Prof. Paul van Loosdrecht), Optical probing of spin dynamics in GaAs heterostructures.
- 2006 Bram Slachter (Topmaster literature study with report), Solid-state single-photon sources.
- 2006 Xinglan Liu (Topmaster research project) Quantum optics with semiconductors.
- 2006 Friederich Limbach (Bachelor research project), Ohmic contacts to GaAs heterostructures.
- 2005 Gabi Visanescu (Master research project), Microwave control of spintronics.
- 2004 Mikel Boute (Bachelor research project), Ohmic contacts to GaAs heterostructures.
- 2004 Francesco Maddalena (Topmaster literature study with report), Quantum dots.
- 2004 Bram Slachter (Bachelor research project), Microwave control of spintronics.
|Last modified:||16 September 2022 10.58 a.m.|