Kick-off event: Ecocritical Approaches to Landscape at the Fries Museum
|Fr 24-11-2023 13:30 - 16:30
|Fries Museum, Leeuwarden
We are pleased to announce the upcoming kick-off event that will take place on November 24th at the Fries Museum, Leeuwarden. This event will mark the start of a research project recently awarded by the NWO, Dutch Research Council, Museum Grants program: Ecocritical Approaches to Landscape at the Fries Museum.
Since the 1990s, landscape is one of the main thematic principles for collecting modern and contemporary art in the Fries Museum. Together with the chair for art history and material culture, University of Groningen, prof. dr. Ann-Sophie Lehmann, Judith Spijksma, curator modern and contemporary art, Fries Museum, will carry out a research project on contemporary art and the depiction of landscape in the museum’s collection. By looking at artworks which use diverse materials to capture, interpret and recreate landscape, this research aims to shed light on current issues in contemporary art and museum practices.
The research project will be launched during a special kick-off event with various lectures on November 24th - and you are invited! Sign up at friesmuseum.nl
- Judith Spijksma, curator of contemporary and modern art at the Fries Museum
- De Onkruidenier, artist collective
- Anna-Rosja Haveman, PhD candidate and lecturer
- Lisa Klompe, project manager at the Fries Museum and initiator of the green team
- Ann-Sophie Lehmann, professor of Art History & Material Culture at the University of Groningen
- Saskia Noor van Imhoff, artist
- Colin Sterling, interdisciplinary researcher, writer and teacher