Format for PhD applications
A successful research proposal addresses the following points:
1. Research institute:
- CLCG = Center for Language and Cognition Groningen
- GIA = Groningen Institute of Archaeology
- ICOG = Groningen Research Institute for the Study of Culture
2. Research centre (to be found under the links above)
3. Full name of candidate (+ academic title + MA discipline)
4. (Preliminary) Title of research proposal
The project proposal
1. short description of the project
- what do you want to find out?
- what will you do to get there?
2. position of the project within the discipline
- how does it connect to existing theory?
- what does it promise to contribute?
3. short description of the data (texts, corpus, etc.) that you will use or collect
- why these materials?
4. short description of the project's research method
- why this method?
5. short statement of the relevance of the project
- what is its urgency?
- how is it innovative?
- (if applicable) what practical purposes may be served by its results?
6. statement of a provisional timetable
- when will you do what?
- what will you produce when?
7. statement of expected expenses
- specific research costs, research trips, conference visits, stay abroad
8. description of the required research environment
- who will you be working with?
- what kind of research training do you need?
N.B.: The project proposal should not exceed a length of 1500 words (excluding the list of references).
|Last modified:||11 September 2018 3.45 p.m.|