2-Day conference Tom Wright: Paul, the Church & Us: On Being Church in the 21st Century
|When:||Tu 28-10-2014 at 10:30|
|Where:||Remonstrantse kerk, Coehoornsingel 14, Groningen|
! The public lecture on Tuesday 28 October (4 p.m.) is open to all! This will be held in the Geerstemazaal at the Academy Building, Broerstraat 5, Groningen
Tom Wright will be in Groningen on 28 and 29 October! This year, the Confessionele Vereniging is celebrating its 150th anniversary! These are both excellent reasons for organizing a special, 2-day pastors’ conference. The Society is organizing the conference together with the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of the University of Groningen, which hosts the chair by special appointment of the Confessional Vereniging, currently held by Professor Edward van ’t Slot. The main speaker at the conference will be Prof. N.T. (Tom) Wright, the well-known professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at St Andrew’s University (Scotland, UK). The conference will be held in English. In addition to Prof. N.T. Wright, Prof. G.H. (Geurt Henk) van Kooten, professor of New Testament and Early Christianity at the University of Groningen, and Professor E. van ’t Slot will be speakers. The theme of the conference is ‘Paul, the Church & Us: On Being Church in the 21st Century’.
The conference will be held in Groningen; it will start on Tuesday 28 October at 10.30 a.m. and end on Wednesday 29 October at 4.30 p.m. Several locations within the city will be used: the Remonstrantse Kerk (Coehoornsingel 14, Tuesday until 4 p.m. and Wednesday all day), the Academy Building (Tuesday after 4 p.m.) and an atmospheric restaurant (Tuesday evening). Participants must make their own bed and breakfast arrangements. The organizers recommend the University Hotel in Groningen (Kleine Kromme Elleboog 7). Accommodation is also available close to Park & Ride facilities.
If you would like to attend the entire conference, please read the following literature in advance:
- Chapter 10 ‘The People of God, Freshly Reworked’, in N.T. Wright, Paul and the Faithfulness of God, Minneapolis: Fortress Press 2013 (260 pages)
In addition, the following literature is recommended:
- Chapter 6 ‘A Bird in the Hand? The Symbolic Praxis of Paul’s World’, in idem (100 pages)
- Part III ‘Hope in Practice: Resurrection and the Mission of the Church.’ In N.T.Wright, Surprised by Hope: Rethinking Heaven, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church. SPCK, HarperOne, 2008. [Dutch edition: Verrast door hoop, Franeker: Uitgeverij Van Wijnen, 2010].
The provisional programme in PDF will provide you with a handy overview. The dates, times, subject and speakers are fixed, the titles of the lectures may change, as may the occasional organizational detail.
Participation and fee
The conference is open to pastors, church workers and students. Registration is only possible for the entire conference. The fee is € 180 (€ 100 for students). It includes the meals and drinks as stated in the provisional programme, but does not include bed and breakfast. Participants must also arrange the literature themselves. The maximum number of participants has been set at 150. Pastors can earn 2.5 ECTS credit points by attending the conference.
As per 17.10 the registration has been closed.
The organization of the conference is in the hands of:
- Professor E. (Edward) van ’t Slot (holder of the chair by special appointment of the Confessionele Vereniging at the University of Groningen)
- D. (Dick) Wolters on behalf of the Schrift en Belijden Foundation
- W.L. (Wilbert) Dekker on behalf of the Confessionele Vereniging