Language requirements per faculty
Possible exemptions for all faculties
Want to know if you can be exempted from the language requirement? Check this page for an overview of our generally accepted exemptions from the language proficiency requirement.
Additional exemptions may apply for the programme of your choice, however this is at the discretion of the Admissions Board and will be assessed when your application has been received by the Admissions Office.
Also check your specific faculty below.
Validity of certificates
Keep in mind that TOEFL and IELTS certificates are only valid for 2 years. Cambridge certificates do not have limited validity.
90 (min. 19 on Speaking, min. 21 on Writing)
|IELTS (Academic) - overall score||
6.5 (min. 6.0 on Speaking & Writing)
|Cambridge C1 Advanced||
|Cambridge C2 Proficiency||
* TOEFL MyBest Scores are not considered in the Admissions procedure
|Theology (Dutch only)||NTII-2 test needed|
|BSc Global Responsibility & Leadership||
|BSc Data Science & Society||
Additional exemption possibility
- Minimum final grade of 7 for the English course for the Dutch VWO diploma
- Minimum final grade of 10 for the English course at Leistungskurs (LK) / erhöhtem Anforderingsniveau (eA) for the German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife (however, please note that taking an English language proficiency test meeting the minimum requirements for this programme is strongly recommended)
|IELTS (Academic)||6.5 - no less than 6.5 on each section|
|TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test)||
90 - reading: min. 21; listening: min. 21; speaking: min. 21; and writing: min. 24
|Cambridge English||Cambridge C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency|
- Applicants with a Dutch VWO diploma and a 7 or higher in English;
- Applicants with a German Zeugnis der Allgemeinen Hochschulreife, including English PF, eA or LK with a minimum grade of 10
* Exemptions are granted at the discretion of the Admissions Office.
|Last modified:||06 December 2022 10.07 a.m.|