Sustainable Startup Academy
The Sustainable Startup Academy aims to give Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Voice Technology students the opportunity to start their own sustainable startup. The Sustainable Startup Academy provides participating students with practical methods and tools for starting a sustainable startup in addition to the existing academic curriculum.
The framework provides space for a program that is based on seven workshops and a compition during one semester. The first session of the meeting is set up in such a way that it is interesting for every student. The kick-off consists of two parts. A Business Ideation session is organized in the morning. In the afternoon the Launch Game is played. After this day, the participating students can decide if this is a program they want to follow.
Session 1: Inspirational speaker + Business Idea Generator
The first session consists of two parts. First will kick off with an amazing sustainable startup entrepreneur from the region to inspire you to dream big. Next up, the workshop will be the Business Idea Generator. The ideation methodology of Stanford University is used here. Where high-quality sustainable business ideas are developed and refined. The partaking team will build a prototype and pitch the result to the other teams and experts.
Session 2: Lean Business Modelling
The Lean Startup method is discussed during the second session. This method is widely used in the startup world and is the basis for the entire training series. It is a method that provides tools for developing a new product or service in uncertain circumstances. In addition to theory, practical tools are provided, after which the startup can develop rapid prototypes and then collect feedback in order to arrive at a good first MVP (Minimum Viable Product). Testing assumptions with your target group and the continued development of your product are central to the session.
Session 3: Launch Game
The third session is the Launch Game. During this interactive game the first two years of a startup are simulated with advice from 12 industry experts. During the game the team constantly has to make strategic choices to reach the next step in the product development phase. The end goal is to find the launching customer and thereby enter the market.
Session 4: Customer Validation
The Customer Discovery session builds on the knowledge and methodologies gained during the Lean Business Modeling training. Who are your early adopters and how do I find them? And when you have reached that group, how do you move from the early adopters to the early majority? From the developed value proposition, the theory of how to bridge the gap between your first customers and having a market share is discussed in more detail.
Session 5: Pitching
The fifth session is spent preparing and practicing a good pitch. What is the problem, what is your solution and who is it for?
Session 6: Sustainable Startup Award
The teams now pitch their ideas to a jury panel of startup experts. The panel will give feedback and pick a winning team! The winner of this pitch event will also be automatically nominated to participate in the 'Enterprijs 2022'. The Enterprijs 2022 is the Frisian student startup competition where university students from across the region compete for the student startup title of the year.
For any questions or queries, please contact dr. Thomas Long:
The Campus Fryslân Sustainable Startup Academy is made possible by Sterk Fries Ondernemerschap.
Final cases 2019/2020
See the final cases below for an impression of what to expect and what you can achieve!
- Amir Abu Ghazaleh (winner ‘19/’20): Pullplast. The pullplast is a type of plaster that helps administer medical liquid straight into wounds. With his idea, Amir won second place in the Enterprijs finals!
- Emma van der Stel & Renée Wehkamp: Dutch Sustainable Design - the sustainable alternative to limited edition collectors brands, such as 'Supreme'. This concept tackles the use of unsustainable materials and poor working practices in the fast fashion supply chain through high quality, unique design and the use of marketing 'scarcity'.
- Madhusudhanan Balasubraman: POSTATO: Post it like a potato! – Madhusudhanan: "Annually, 340 million kilos of potatoes are discarded due to various reasons like overproduction, lack of aesthetic appeal, etc. We seek to solve this problem one potato at a time. We would do this by adding aesthetic appeal to such potatoes and giving a quirky twist to the earthy, humble potato".
- Chris Lijzenga: Seasick Sunscreen. Seasick Sunscreen is an all natural SPF 30 face and body sunscreen suitable for the whole family, helping to reduce the damage that conventional sunscreens do to marine ecosystems.
- Camille Hue & Isabel Knittelfelder: Two Spoons: Breakfast in bowls - Homemade, vegan, local breakfast in bowls at university, giving students a quick, healthy and sustainable breakfast option on campus!
|Last modified:||25 November 2021 4.30 p.m.|