The University of Groningen (UG) has actively engaged with the Latin American region since the 2000s. The central focus of collaboration with Latin America is on building strategic institutional networks that have a strong foundation in complementarity in research. Additionally, most UG faculties have a multitude of partners for student exchange and individual staff have their own international network.
Among our most important institutional partners, we count:
Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
Universidad de Chile, Chile
Pontifícia Universidad de Chile, Chile
Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico
Each year, we organize and host delegation visits of researchers to and from our Latin American partners.
The UG strategy for cooperation with Latin America includes active engagement with local and other (inter)national funding agencies and scholarship programs, including:
- UG was the number one Dutch destination for Brazilian students under the Science without Borders (SwB) program (2012-2016)
- Six UG & UMCG researchers were awarded SwB funding to spend up to three months per year at their Brazilian partner
- UG coordinated four projects with Latin America under the European Erasmus Mundus Action 2 program and was a partner in six more (2008-2017). The EURICA project was co-coordinated by UNAM-Mexico
- UG has been awarded annual funding for International Credit Mobility (ICM) under the European Erasmus+ program since 2016
- UG has cooperation agreements with national funding agencies, including CONACYT (Mexico) and Colfuturo (Colombia)
- Different UG faculties actively invest in double degree PhD collaboration with partners in Latin America, e.g. the University Medical Center Groningen
UG student ambassadors 2018-2019 with ambassadors from Brazil, Colombia & Mexico
UMCG student testimonials
Association for Latin American Students (ALAS) on Facebook
Brasileiros em Groningen on Facebook
Contact Joyce Fongers for more information about our engagement in the region.
|Last modified:||03 December 2019 3.25 p.m.|