CONACYT full PhD scholarships
The University of Groningen (UG) was the first Dutch university to sign an agreement with the Mexican Council for Science & Technology (CONACYT) to co-fund Mexican PhD students, already in 2009. Admitted students receive a monthly subsistence allowance from CONACYT, and UG waives its institutional fees. Over the years, Groningen has hosted many Mexican students, including with a CONACYT PhD scholarship. More than fifty Mexican PhD students currently do their PhD research at UG.
Download the brochure with more information for Mexican prospective PhD students.
Groningen tops up your scholarship!
UG is unique in The Netherlands because it provides admitted PhD students with a top-up of their scholarships (conditions apply): externally funded doctoral students currently receive a combined total of more that €1.850 per month. In practice, this means that Mexican PhD students who have been admitted to UG and have acquired a CONACYT grant for full PhD studies abroad will receive about €650 extra per month from UG!
CONACYT call for applications
The general call for applications for Mexican nationals to apply to CONACYT funding for full PhD studies abroad is published in Q1 of each calendar year. To learn about future calls for applications keep an eye on the CONACYT website.
Note that in addition to the above CONACYT may open, throughout the year:
- Other topical calls in priority areas (e.g. energy, education…)
- Separate calls coordinated via its regional offices ("entidades federales") in different Mexican states, in accordance with state priorities
Call for applications 2021
The central call for full PhD funding for 2021 has been published in March 2021 (in Spanish). The call has a topical focus on Health.
Students are responsible to submit their application to CONACYT. In 2021, there is one application period for Mexican students to apply to full PhD funding abroad, with the following dates & deadlines:
- Applications to be submitted as of 5 April 2021
- Application deadline: 11 June 2021
- Publication of results: 30 July 2021
- Start date of scholarship: until 31 March 2022. A realistic first possible start date at UG, provided that results have been published by 30 July, is November-December 2021
UG & Health
One of the core focus areas of UG is "Healthy Ageing": this means that the topic of Health is addressed in UG education and research from multiple, inter- and transdisciplinary, perspectives. In addition to the obvious opportunities at the University Medical Center Groningen, you may find health-related research at nearly any UG Faculty. See for example the Aletta Jacobs School of Public Health that connects researchers from many disciplines.
For Prospective PhD Students
A first prerequisite for admission to the UG PhD program is the identification of a supervisor. We welcome you to browse the pages of the University of Groningen and University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG) to locate someone in your area of interest.
Note that, in all cases, it is the Graduate School (GS) of the Faculty to which your supervisor pertains that has the authority to officially admit you to the UG PhD program. Each UG Faculty is home to a Graduate School. The Letter of Acceptance you need to submit with your CONACYT application should be issued by the relevant GS. In addition to the generic rule that applicants should have secured the pre-acceptance of a supervisor, each GS may set additional criteria.
We therefore ask that all prospective applicants contact the UG Representative in Mexico, Mr Luis Andrés González Gutiérrez. In particular, he will assist with:
- The identification of a supervisor, if needed: send your CV, a summary of your research interests and the names of any UG researcher you have already identified/contacted
- Information on the admission process and particular individual Graduate School requirements
- Information on the collaboration with CONACYT and application procedures (see: "Application documents") to supervisors and Graduate Schools
- UG general and standardized information on the UG PhD program, to submit with your CONACYT application
Applicants will need to provide the following general documentation to CONACYT that require input from the UG Graduate School and/or supervisor:
- Letter of Acceptance, signed by an authorized representative of the relevant Graduate School
- PhD project proposal, signed by the applicant & supervisor (max. 10 pp.)
- CV of PhD supervisor signed by the supervisor (max. 5 pp.)
- Outline of the PhD curriculum
- Confirmation of the UG fee waiver, as outlined in the agreement between UG and CONACYT
- Confirmation of the language of instruction of the PhD program
Candidates should consult this information sheet with important information on the specificities of the UG PhD program and how to fill out your CONACYT application.
Ad 1) CONACYT sets specific requirements for the Letter of Acceptance. The Representation has developed a template that fulfils CONACYT requirements. GS may contact the Representation directly for more information.
Ad 5 & 6) The Representation may provide these documents to GS and/or accepted candidates.
In accordance with the agreement between CONACYT and the University of Groningen, no tuition and/or bench fees can be claimed from CONACYT.
The UG Representative Office at UNAM
Mr Luis Andrés González Gutiérrez, l.a.gonzalez.gutierrez rug.nl
|Last modified:||15 April 2021 08.09 a.m.|