The Botanical Museum was founded in 1870 and was originally intended as a place of learning, but non-students were also allowed in. It was open to students until the 1980s, when it fell into disuse following the closure of the Department of Plant Classification. The collection was transferred to the University Museum. Nowadays the Department of Archaeology still makes use of this collection for plant identification purposes.
The collection consists of 2500 pieces with specimens of dried fruits and seeds, flowers, toadstools conserved in spirits, fossils with prints of plants, and botanical models. The specimens were collected on field trips, purchased or received as gifts. Very special objects in the collection are the three examples of a xylotheque or wooden library of tree samples, dating from c. 1810.
|Last modified:||02 October 2019 2.19 p.m.|