Within the Sustainable Society theme, the University of Groningen aims to contribute to the realization of future societies with high quality of life. We believe that on a global scale a sustainable society is built on the following four pillars:
- economic prosperity;
- social inclusion, cohesion and justice;
- environmental sustainability;
- good governance by major social actors, including governments and business (see also Sachs, 2015).
These pillars are closely related and need to be addressed in an integrated way in order to create coherent societal development paths. To reach this goal, a substantial number of societal challenges have to be addressed on a local, regional, national and global scale.
Presently, our main societal themes are:
- Human dimension of sustainable energy
- Social impacts of earthquakes (in Dutch)
- Democracy and governance
- Sustainable landscapes