Introduction for new group members to Physics of Nanodevices
When first arriving at the group, the following should happen (most should be done together with / by the direct daily supervisor):
- Visit Johan Holstein and explicitly ask that he gives this new person his short lab-tour and introduction aimed at making sure that the new person is well-informed about all basic rules concerning lab safety.
- Extra note on lab safety: Besides various other dangerous chemicals that you may come across during clean room work, persons working with GaAs should note the following:
- GaAs cleaving: always wear breathing protection!
- GaAs etching, make sure the fumes stay in the clean bench, away from where you breath.
- Breathing GaAs dust / small particles / vapors from chemical rections with GaAs is VERY UNHEALTHY.
- Ask Johan for instructions.
- Make a group tour to get to know all other group members and rooms and labs of our group in particular make sure all technicians, Anna, and the staff get to know a new person on the first day.
- Visit group secretary Anna McEwan to fill out various forms, and getting a key-card to enter the building.
- Get a desk and a PC, visit Johan Holstein (for Bachelor and FIT student only when a fre place is available).
- Get those keys that you need for rooms and labs of the group, by a visit to Johan Holstein.
- At some point, get the door key-card also authorized for entering optics labs or the Zernike cleanroom
- If the person will work with lasers, you must also read and follow the instructions on this page
- Give the new person instructions and password for using the QD Y-drive, and other intra-net and wiki-web-pages at FND, see http://nanodevices.nl/ (old link)
- Ask Anna to add the new person to the listings with group members, and group e-mail lists, including the FND e-mail list.
- Ask Tom to add the new person to the listings with QD team members, and the QD e-mail list.
- Ask Tom to add the new person as one who has access to the Y-drive of the QD team.
For new PhD students and postdocs only:
You will at some point get a group task, and you will probably become the manager for one of the experimental setup. A list with all these taks and setup managers is on the intra-net pages of http://nanodevices.nl/. (old link)
Daily and weekly meetings in the life of FND group members
- 10:30 Coffee or tea (and bring cake on all suitable occasions)
- Around 12:00 Lunch
- 15:30 Coffee or tea
- Thursday at 13:00 (most of the weeks, but sometimes on another day!) – QD team meeting in Caspar’s office.
- Tuesdays at 16:00 – FND group talk, a group member giving a 30 min. presentation on his or her research (for location see http://nanodevices.nl/)
- Wednesday at 9:00 – FND group meeting, bi-weekly either only short SCIENCE presentations or a short group meeting to discuss ORGANIZATIONAL & TECHNICAL issues, and then short SCIENCE talks (for room and program see http://nanodevices.nl/)
There are several other weekly meetings of small research teams with the supervising straff member (spins in GaAs team with Caspar, graphene team with Bart, BEEM-STM team with Tamalika, etc.
Thursday at 16:00 (Coffee and cookies 15:30)- Colloquium (lecture hall 5111.0080), for the program see
|Last modified:||17 September 2022 1.10 p.m.|