Culture and Health
Objectives of the research theme Culture and Health are to conduct research
- on the health behaviour of people as embedded in the socio-cultural context in which they live
- particulary reproductive and sexual health
- driven by theoretical frameworks on culture, religion, identity, the life course
- within a comparative framework: projects are mainly conducted in Asia (different states of India, Bangladesh) and Africa (Uganda, Malawi)
- applying both quantitative and qualitative research methods such as surveys and in-depth interviews, focus group discussions and observation
- focusing -besides academic output- on translation of research into policy and intervention. Participatory research is conducted in collaboration with NGOs
|Research title||Principal researcher|
Participatory approaches in health
|Participatory research in a community based Safe Motherhood project, Malawi||Inge Hutter|
Billie de Haas
|Socio-economic and cultural factors explaining women’s preference of abortion over contraception: the case of Macedonia||Vera Dimitrievska|
|Health Seeking Behavior in the Context of Epidemiological Transition in Tanzania: a case of Malaria and Diabetes||Emmy Metta|
|Capacity building in Reproductive Health||Inge Hutter, Ajay Bailey|
|What makes Participatory Action Research interventions work in practice?||Myriam Hemsteede|
|The role of masculinity and femininity in health seeking behavior among elderly in Tanzania||Sylivia Rutagumirwa|
- Hennink, M., I. Hutter and A. Bailey (2011) Qualitative Research Methods. Sage, UK.
- Bailey, A, I. Hutter and P.P.P. Huigen (2011) 'The spatial-cultural configuration of sex work in Goa, India'. Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Volume 102, Issue 2, pp. 162–175.
- Darak S, Janssen F, Hutter I. (2011), Fertility among HIV-infected Indian women: the biological effect and its implications. Journal of Biosocial Science 43(1), pp. 19-29. Epub 2010 Oct 12.
Biswamitra Sahu - Religion, minority status and reproductive behaviour among Muslims and Hindus in India and Bangladesh (2010).[download dissertaion]
|Last modified:||23 February 2015 3.01 p.m.|