Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Faculty of Law International programmes Incoming exchange (guest students) Practical Information

Registration with the local authorities

Students who plan to stay in Groningen for longer than 4 months, have to register as a (temporary) resident in the Municipal Personal Records Database (GBA) at the Town Hall in Groningen. European Union students should register at the Town Hall. All other students are registered at the same time they apply for their residence permit. More info can be found here.

All students need the following documents for registration with the Municipal Personal Records Database (GBA):

  • Valid passport
  • Rental agreement or other proof of accommodation that verifies your address in Groningen
  • Legalised birth certificate
  • If applicable: legalised marriage certificate

Non-EU students also need to bring:

  • A valid residence permit OR a letter of confirmation from the Immigration Office (IND) proving that you have applied for a residence permit. The International Service Desk (ISD) will inform you once this letter has arrived.

NB: Legalised certificates are: official documents certified by authorised government officials. Please contact the Dutch Embassy or Consulate General in your country for instructions concerning the legalisation of documents. The legalisation of documents needs to be done BEFORE your departure to the Netherlands.

Last modified:07 June 2022 2.40 p.m.