Network Event Law for Health
|When:||Fr 13-10-2023 13:00 - 16:00|
|Where:||House of Connections, Grote Markt 21, Groningen|
Law shapes health in various ways. Law can encourage healthy and safe behaviors and it shapes physical and social environments. Yet, law may also, sometimes incidentally, damage our health. It is therefore important to think about how to use law as a tool to contribute to health in the best possible way. Legal epidemiology, or public health law, is the academic discipline studying law as a factor in the cause, distribution and prevention of disease and injury.
We are currently developing the program of this Aletta network event and we expect this to be of interest to a broad range of participants. During this event, the stage will be set for the new LAW FOR HEALTH hub. We will discuss legal epidemiology, together with professor Scott Burris, a key scholar in the field. We will investigate the opportunities that law has to offer to healthcare professionals, and implications for research, education, policy making and political agenda-setting. Above all, we look forward to meeting other LAW FOR HEALTH enthusiasts, or those who are about to earn that title.
The network event is open to researchers, professionals and students, in fields such as law, medicine, epidemiology, policy making, human rights and public health.
- Walk-in + coffee/tea
- Welcome + Introduction participants
- Scott Burris (professor at Temple University)
- conversation with researchers
- Pitches researchers / Research ideas
- Discussion in small groups: what are your ideas for research? How can you help?
2.45 - 3.05 p.m.
3.05 - 4 p.m.
- Karine van ’t Land (chairman KAMG, university lecturer AJSPH/RUG, vice president Johannes Wier Stichting) - Human rights approach, physician activism, professional association and law
- Cristian Oranje (doctor and master of law UMCG) - Understanding health law in the medical curriculum, similarities and differences doctors/lawyers, practice: opportunities, dangers and bottlenecks
- Plenary discussion
- Where to go from here?
What to expect
- A brand new network
- Opportunity to share ideas, projects, and research findings
- Inspiration and new approaches
We look forward to seeing you on October 13. You can register via the link below.