Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
About us Faculty of Religion, Culture and Society Education Exchange Programme Religion and Culture

Application and admission

If you want to go on an exchange, you need to contact the departmental Exchange Coordinator at your home institution to find out about possibilities to go on an exchange to Groningen for one semester or a full academic year.

After your home university has selected you for a period of study in Groningen, your coordinator will send us an official nomination.

Below, you will find more information on admission requirements and how to apply.

Deadline for nomination/application

Semester 1 / full year:
EU students: 15 June / non-EU students: 15 April

Semester 2:
EU students: 15 November / non-EU students: 15 September

Documents needed for application

Please collect the following documents:

  • Learning Agreement provided by your home university. Only for Erasmus students
  • Official academic Transcript of Records showing your results so far.
  • 1 copy of your passport (or EU-identity card).
  • Motivation letter in English (300 words).
  • English language certificate, or letter from your University indicating that your English proficiency is sufficient (see: language requirements).
  • Course selection form
  • Study skills overview
Language Requirements

The English language proficiency requirements for the exchange programme can be met by passing:

  • TOEFL with a score of at least 79 (internet-based) or 550 (paper-based); or
  • IELTS with a score of 6.0-6.5 or higher (6.0 on the parts speaking and writing); or
  • Cambridge Proficiency with a score of Grade B (scale 173 - 175) - Grade C (scale 169 - 172); or
  • English language certificate of your home university, with a score of at least CEFR B2 for first year Bachelor's courses, and B2/C1 for second and third year Bachelor's courses and Master courses.

To get a general idea of your English language proficiency you can do a self-assessment such as the online language assessment system Dialang.

If you are an English native speaker, you do not have to provide an English proficiency certificate.

Application If we accept your nomination, an e-mail will be sent to you with a link to the online application form in Mobility Online.

You can choose course units from:

If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact: internationaloffice.rcs

Last modified:06 July 2023 1.39 p.m.