Our students live in student houses all throughout the city of Groningen, since we do not have university-owned accommodation. Corporate and private landlords provide rooms for our students. Students live in housing of all shapes and sizes: large blocks dedicated for students, apartments, little cottages, or even houseboats! Looking for a place to live in Groningen often is a challenging experience, so it is worth applying early so that you can ensure you get the place you are looking for.
Most UG students live in a private room in or around the city centre or near the university’s Zernike Campus. Groningen municipality, University of Groningen and the Hanze University of Applied Sciences have a common website www.athomeingroningen.com. This website gives you a lot of information on housing and living in the city of Groningen and its neighborhoods. It also refers to some (safe) major providers of rooms in the city and offers (some) private accommodation. You will find answers to frequently asked questions or you can mail a question or comment.
UPDATES FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS LOOKING FOR A ROOM (SUMMER 2018)
UPDATE 31-7-2018: Are you still looking for accommodation in Groningen? In this second update, we will give you some tips for finding a room. If you have already found a room, you can unsubscribe at the bottom of this email.
We advise you to check out www.athomeingroningen.com and sign up with them if you haven't done so already. This site will be updated regularly with accommodation on the private housing market and also has more general information about looking for accommodation in Groningen as well as settling in.
A total of 249 container apartments will be placed on the Suikerunie premises. These apartments will be offered through www.athomeingroningen.com from August 14th onward. Please note that not all the 249 apartments will be published on that date, so keep checking their website to find the latest available options. Unfortunately, these containers won't be finished until October which means you will be offered a combination of temporary accommodation from the start of the academic year until October.
If you are looking for a room outside of athomeingroningen.com, please be aware of scammers - do not pay anything before you have made clear agreements in writing.
UPDATE 12-7-2018: Today, a batch of available rooms for international students will be published via a roomfinder service on Athomeingroningen.com. This service is intended for international students looking for a room at the start of the ’18-’19 academic year and for landlords who have room(s) available. Once you have registered (for free), you will be able to search for a room by selecting your own range of preferences.
SSH is fully booked by now.
SSH Student Housing
To help international students to find a pleasant place to live, the University of Groningen has reserved accommodation with SSH Student Housing. SSH is a non-profit housing corporation, specialized in accommodation for students and PhD’s. The University has reserved more than 1550 rooms for new international students in order to offer new international students a furnished room to rent for the maximum of one year. SSH offers short stay contracts for the length of an educational period in the first year of stay. You can book a room with all necessary furniture and appliances for 5 months (exchange students, 1 semester) or 10 or 12 months (2 semesters). PhD’s (some times with partner) can rent an apartment for a longer period.
Accommodation with SSH consists of single rooms or double rooms and studios. Prices for these rooms in the year '18-'19 are between € 290 and € 660 per month, but most rooms will cost around € 370. The rent includes all utilities (room, heating, electricity, furniture, the internet, et cetera). Please note that you will have to pay a reservation fee (€ 100) as well as the first and last month of rent at the time of your reservation.
SSH manages several International Student Houses. The International Student Houses are a fun and social experience; you live with students from all over the world and get to know them very well. All International Student Houses employ resident assistants to welcome new students and act as caretakers.
How to Apply for SSH
Visit the SSH website to take a look at ‘How it works’ and ‘Available housing’. Registration for SSH housing opens on the 15th of May. It is very important that you apply for accommodation with SSH as soon as you are accepted at the University. Applying early will increase the possibility of finding a room that suits your personal preferences. On the SSH website, click on Groningen and then on Reserved Accommodation.
Please apply using the following steps:
- Register for accommodation at the SSH. After you register, you will receive information from the university about how to finalise your registration. It is not possible to apply for a room before you are accepted at the University.
- After your registration is confirmed by the university, you can start to look for a room on the SSH site and book it. Booking is a fully automated process through the website. During this process, you will automatically sign the contract for rent.
- After booking, you will have to pay the reservation fee and the first and last month of rent within 24 hours. Payment can be made by MasterCard or Visa.
Please note that the period of rent equals the period of your education in the first year. If you want to arrive a few days earlier, please ask the local SSH office by mail whether it is possible to rent your room a few days earlier.
Private accommodation: At home in Groningen
Want to live with friends or on your own? There are several alternatives to SSH where you can find private accommodation. You can find a room with commercial agencies or private landlords around Groningen. Rents and agency costs of both commercial agencies and private landlords can be high. Remain critical, visit the room beforehand and always read your contract carefully! Alternatively, there are numerous websites which offer student rooms.
The website www.athomeingroningen.com is an initiative by Groningen municipality, University of Groningen and Hanze University of Applies Sciences and provides information on housing and living in Groningen, how to find a room, financial aspects, legal matters and your address registration with the municipality. The site gives links to major providers of rooms for students in the city and to websites most frequently used.
When you search for housing on your own, we urge you to be aware that there may be untrustworthy landlords and unreliable room agencies. We, therefore, ask you to please take note of the following tips:
- In the summer months and at the beginning of the Academic year, there will be a lot of students trying to find a place to live. It is wise to start looking for a room as early as possible.
- If you try to find housing on your own, please make sure to do this through official websites or companies that you can trace.
- If you are looking for a room outside of athomeingroningen.com, please be aware of scammers - do not pay anything before you have made clear agreements in writing.
- Do not go to a viewing alone (preferably bring a local).
- Always ask for a payment receipt.
- A rent that is too low for the location or type of housing, as well as unrecognisable pictures of the location may indicate fraudulent practices.
- Avoid identity theft: never send a copy of your passport to strangers.
- If you wish to rent a room outside the city centre in a building that has 3 or more residents, you should check if the proprietor has the correct permit.
|Laatst gewijzigd:||01 augustus 2018 17:29|