Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
Education Exchange Study in Groningen Living in the Netherlands

Studying with a disability

AD(H)D, autism (ASD), blindness, deafness and dyslexia are all examples of functional impairments that can hinder your study progress or even result in a study delay. The University of Groningen has various arrangements and facilities for students with a functional impairment.

What are the options?

If you encounter obstacles to studying due to a functional impairment, we will work with you to overcome these as best we can, for example, by arranging study and examination facilities, adapting the educational environment or modifying your study plan. For more information about the options available, visit the web pages about the provisions for specific functional impairments (see menu).

What do you have to take into account?

If a functional impairment is affecting your studies and causing you to delay your studies and/or to adjust your study plan, you should speak up as soon as possible. Your degree programme’s study advisor can talk to you about creating a realistic study plan or a possible lowering of the BSA threshold. You may also be eligible for additional facilities and/or financial arrangements in the event of a study delay. The student counsellors at the Student Service Centre (SSC) can provide you with more information about this. This information can be found on the Student Portal.

What do you need to do?

  1. If you would like to make use of special examination facilities: please fill in the information tool , to find out which steps you should take to apply for these facilities.
  2. If you expect a study delay or any other kind of problem related to your studies, or in case you experience study delay during the academic year, you should make an appoint with your study advisor in good time.
    Inform your study advisor about your circumstances and explain how it is affecting your study progress.
  3. In the event of a study delay of 15 ECTS or more, as a consequence of your circumstances: make an appointment with the student counsellor in good time. He/she can advise you about possible financial arrangements in the event of a study delay of this extent.

More information

  • The Student Service Centre (SSC) offers various courses and workshops for students with a functional impairment. These courses and workshops can be found on Student Portal.
  • Interested in the latest news or vacancies? Or do you want to get in touch with other students who also have a functional impairment? Like our ‘Studying with a disability’ Facebook page (in Dutch: Studeren met een functiebeperking) or sign up for the private Facebook group.
Last modified:15 November 2019 11.21 a.m.