Representation in Mexico
The University of Groningen’s (UG) Representative Office at Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) has been established in 2019 to actively foster relationships with Mexican institutions. The Office is an exponent of the idea that focused internationalization strategies contribute to the quality of research and education. Its particular mission is to further develop the UG Strategic Partnership with UNAM.
UNAM has been identified as one of Groningen’s nine non-European Strategic Partners 2021-2023.
Whether you are a (prospective) student or academic, feel free to contact the UG Office at UNAM in case you have questions on the relationship between UG and Mexican institutions and the different opportunities.
The UG Office at UNAM will help you out if you have questions, ranging from the different opportunities for student mobility, the Double Degree PhD program UNAM-UG, funding opportunities, to any other collaborative initiative you can think of.
Did you know that Mexico…?
- Is geographically located in North America
- Together with countries in Central and South America, it forms the region of Latin America: a reference to their linguistic affinity with Romance languages (Spanish, Portuguese & French)
- Is the third-largest county in Latin America with 126 million inhabitants
- Has the world’s largest Spanish-speaking population, but…
- …officially recognizes more than 60 languages, the large majority indigenous
- Combines historic World Heritage-sites with modern megacities like Mexico City (population >20M)
- Is home to renowned thinkers and artists, such as Octavio Paz, Frida Kahlo, and Diego Rivera
- Is home to one of the largest universities in the world: UNAM
UNAM is ranked in the Top-100 of the 2021 QS World University Ranking (Top-10 Latin America). It is the largest university in the region with:
- >250 thousand students; >40 thousand staff
- 130 bachelor’s degrees and 42 postgraduate (master & PhD) programs
- 14 international venues
- 26 museums and 18 historical sites
- A main campus with UNESCO World Heritage status
The UNAM-UG Strategic Partnership 2021-2023 was approved by the UG Board and the University Council in 2020. The Office will actively contribute to the development and visibility of activities in relation to:
- The Double Degree PhD program
- Academic matchmaking
- Student mobility
- Co-funding opportunities
- Educational Innovation
UG will appoint Academic Ambassadors to further advice on and contribute to the development of the partnership.
Luis Andrés González Gutiérrez, UG Representative at UNAM. Contact him via email or Facebook.
The Representative Office depends on UG’s Department of International Strategy & Relations (ISR).
|Last modified:||11 February 2021 10.52 a.m.|