Research Data Management Plans
A data management plan (DMP) is a document or a paragraph in your research proposal in which you describe:
- what data you plan to collect during your research project;
- how you are going to store and manage the data during the project;
- how the data will be managed after the project is finished.
Why do you need a DMP?
A data management plan (or paragraph) makes research data management concrete and practicable: what are you going to do and how?
It saves you time, work and money: by elaborating the management of research data at an early stage, you reduce the chances of having to face unpleasant surprises later in your research.
You may also need planning to have computer facilities like network storage or specific hardware at your disposal.
Nowadays, most funding agencies, such as NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research) or ZonMw (Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development), ask for specific research data management plans as part of a granted research project.
For a research proposal with NWO and FOM you have to answer 4 questions in a Data Management Chapter.
Also your own Institute or Faculty will probably have a policy regarding research data that your DMP should comply with, please check this.
What does a DMP include?
- What data are you going to collect? What type of data or what file formats?
- Where and how will you store your data? What backup methods and procedures do you use?
- How are you going to organise and describe your data?
- Who can access your data, will the archived data become available to others?
- If there is an embargo, how are you going to manage access?
- What data will be archived when the project is finished? Where and for how long?
- Who owns the data? Who is responsible for the management of your data?
- Is there a provision for the means necessary to implement this plan?
Do you need help with your DMP? Please email the Research Data Office at: researchdata rug.nl
An information video about a DMP: The What, Why and How of Data Management Planning (external link to RDNL)
|Last modified:||30 September 2019 09.42 a.m.|