Special categories of data
Special categories of data (formerly known as ‘sensitive data’) are data revealing information about:
- racial or ethnic origin,
- political opinions,
- religious or philosophical beliefs,
- trade union membership,
- genetic data, biometric data for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person,
- person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
Processing of special categories of personal data is forbidden except when there is explicit consent.
Based on the GDPR in Dutch law, the processing of special categories of data is also allowed when:
- it is necessary for the research purpose; and
- the processing is proportionate to the aim pursued; and
- the essence of the right to data protection are respected; and
- the controller provides suitable and specific measures to safeguard the fundamental rights and the interests of the data subjects.
|Last modified:||08 May 2019 4.14 p.m.|