'Goede leiders in onzekere tijden' (‘Good leaders in uncertain times’)
Lessons for organizations and politics
In their new Dutch book, Janka Stoker and Harry Garretsen show how leaders and their followers, both in organizations and in politics, deal with crises and our uncertain times. They explore the implications for effective leadership, using examples of inspirational leaders like Jacinda Ardern, Paul Polman and Volodymyr Zelensky. The book provides advice and guidance for leaders who dare to reflect, not only on the challenges they face, but first and foremost on their own leadership roles.
‘Good leaders can also fall flat on their faces, but learning from these experiences is one of their strengths. This book is a must for anyone who strives for better leadership.’
Dimitri de Vreeze, co-CEO DSM
‘Throw away all the books on management hypes with the newest nonsense theories about leadership. Need to know what good leadership is? This is the book you need. No-nonsense and insightful, and I will never again forget to wear sunscreen.’
Sheila Sitalsing, journalist and writer
‘Uncertain times require a decisive government and good leadership. Stoker and Garretsen describe the most important characteristics of good governance, but also show that picking good leaders maybe is the hardest part.’
Bernard ter Haar, former senior civil servant and consultant at ABD TopConsult
"Goede leiders in onzekere tijden is a nice reflection on leadership in the past period. In addition, it feels like an indictment against the leadership of our Prime Minister Mark Rutte, the authors wonder whether he can adapt his leadership style to the needs of this time. The book is spot on, exposes the problems well and Stoker and Garretsen also come up with concrete advice. I heartily recommend this book to the leaders of our time to guide us out of the crises!"
Door Jan Hoekstra voor het managementboek.nl
Learn more about the book 'Goede leiders in onzekere tijden':
- October 20, 2022: Lecture for the BOS Ambassadors
- March 22, 2023: Video lecture for the Order of Organizational Experts and Consultants, online
View past events:
- October 4, 2022: Watch the book presentation again!
- October 11, 2022: Look back on the State of Leadership of de Baak!
- Janka Stoker: EenVandaag (tv): How should Rutte 'sell' the energy crisis? (from 14:40)
- Harry Garretsen: Dr Kelder and co (radio): After the Queen, the UK may shed tears for the economy
- Janka Stoker: EenVandaag (radio): Mark Rutte along the leadership yardstick (from 39:39)
- Janka Stoker: Harper's Bazaar Powercast (podcast): Leadership in uncertain times, Janka Stoker
- Harry Garretsen: The Jortcast (podcast): Economic Policy: UK = Bad, Denmark = Good
- Harry Garretsen: The Jortcast (podcast): The Tragedy of Truss
- Janka Stoker, Harry Garretsen: Dagblad van het Noorden (online): What makes a boss a leader in times of crisis? Good leadership is not a gift, you can learn it
- Janka Stoker: EenVandaag (online): What Mark Rutte can learn from other European leaders during the energy crisis: 'Connect and provide guidance'
Responses from the book's "good leaders":
- Response from Cathelijne Lania via LinkedIn: post reaction from Cathelijne Lania on LinkedIn
- Janka Stoker hands over book to co-CEO of DSM: Dimitri-de Vreeze: LinkedIn post Janka Stoker hands over book to co-CEO of DSM Dimitri-de Vreeze
|Last modified:||17 February 2023 11.40 a.m.|