Get engaged in the Research of Dutch National Research Institutes on Marine Life
You have the opportunity to conduct research under the supervision of experienced marine scientists. Your first research project (40 ECTs) needs to be executed at RuG or NIOZ. There is a very high variety of research topics to choose from. At Ocean Ecosystems research is focused on biodiversity and productivity of marine (mainly polar) phytoplankton whereas marine applications and marine biomimetics are also strongly developed.
This group is specialized in experimental work but also performs field campaigns in both Antarctic and Arctic. The group of Eriksson is highly field oriented and executes (benthic) community ecology projects in the Wadden Sea and the Baltic. Other groups involve the Palsboll and Fontaine labs. These groups have a strong focus on marine mammals. For example, research focuses on whale dispersal, population structure and conservation issues related with climate change. Both labs apply state of the art molecular approaches and bioinformatics. Finally the internationally renowned Institute NIOZ on Texel and Yerseke offer a wealth of research possibilities both in the field and in the lab.
To get up to date information on current research projects, please visit the following webpages.
At the University of Groningen:
- Department of Ocean Ecosystems (Marine productivity and applications): http://www.rug.nl/research/ocean-ecosystems/
- Eriksson lab (Benthic ecology): http://www.rug.nl/staff/b.d.h.k.eriksson/research
- Palsboll lab (Marine evolution and conservation): http://www.rug.nl/staff/p.j.palsboll/
- Fontaine lab (Ecological and evolutionary Genomics): http://www.rug.nl/staff/m.c.fontaine/
- Visit the general NIOZ site; www.nioz.nl
Examples of research conducted in the field, on board research vessels:
- Studying species interactions across trophic levels in the Wadden Sea
- Population dynamics of krill in the Antarctic
- The evolution and dispersal of marine organisms
Examples of research conducted in the laboratory:
- The influence of ultraviolet radiation on plankton
- Analysis of dispersal and genetic population structure of seaweeds, sea grasses, fish and invertebrates
- Molecular identification of invasive species
- Conservation genetics of marine mammals